My Manage My Case (MMC) Information Does Not Look Correct

What You Can Do

If the facts about your household do not look correct or have changed, use 'Manage My Case' to report the changes.

Select the "Report My Changes" button on the Case Summary page of MMC.

What Happens Next?

A caseworker will process the information you have submitted.

Until the caseworker has processed the information, MMC will not show the change.