The Mission of Opening Doors is to provide support to families of infants and toddlers who are blind or visually impaired, to assist them in making informed decisions on behalf of their child, and to provide information on their child based on observation and assessment.
Don't Miss This Year's 41st Annual, Illinois School for the Visually Impaired Parent Infant Institute / Opening Doors Program!
Registration is now open for ISVI's 41st Annual Parent Infant Institute/Opening Doors Program scheduled for June 5th-8th! Opening Doors is a multiday conference for parents of children with vision loss ages birth to six. A few things to look forward to for families attending in person will be a Learning Tool Resource Bag, Dinner in the Dark, make-it-take it and networking activity, and much more! Be on the lookout for additional information to come out in the near weeks. Do not hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have! We are looking forward to getting together with you! Please help spread the word!
Save the Dates!
When: Wednesday June 5th through Saturday June 8th, 2024
Where: ISVI Campus - 658 East State St., Jacksonville, IL 62650
All meals and housing will be provided for conference dates at no cost! Registration is also Free!
Parents, caregivers, and providers are encouraged to attend. Early Intervention and Professional development credit will be offered.
Contact Michelle Clark at email@example.com with any questions you may have!
What is Opening Doors?
- The Opening Doors conference is a multi-day event for parents/guardians and their children with visual impairment age birth to five.
Who Should Attend?
- Illinois parents or guardians and their children with visual impairments, including those with multiple disabilities, who are 6 years old or younger.
Program Goal Statements:
- To provide caregivers with information and resources on issues related to young children with visual impairments
- To provide caregivers with opportunities to interact with other parents raising children with visual impairments
- To provide the opportunity for participants to gain information specific to their child
- To provide children an opportunity to interact with peers
Doors to Education Session Topics: (Tentative)
- Orientation and Mobility
- Early Literacy
- Braille Workshop
- Ask the Doctor
- Cortical Visual Impairment
- Expanded Core Curriculum
- Transition from Early Intervention
- Panel Discussions
- Peer Relationships
- Sensory Processing
- Independent Living Skills
- Eating/Feeding Skills
- IEP Development
- Ocular Conditions
Doors to Exploration
- Classroom groupings with an Educator
- Consultation available in Functional Vision and Orientation & Mobility
- ISVI Campus tours available
- Evening child care and recreational programs
- Evening workshops and group discussions
- Programming for siblings ages 6 and under on limited basis
- Parent Networking Opportunities
- Hands on and interactive activities
For further information, please contact:
Illinois School for the Visually Impaired
658 E. State Street
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650
Voice: (217) 479-4414
Fax: (217) 479-4412