The Mission of Opening Doors is to provide support to families of infants and toddlers who are blind or visually impaired, to assist them in making informed decisions on behalf of their child, and to provide information on their child based on observation and assessment.
The 2021 program will be virtual.
- June 2 through June 5, 2021
- April 23, 2021
- Those who register by May 15th will receive an ISVI educational bag filled with learning materials delivered to your door!
How Do I Register?
2021 Opening Doors registration is now open! Follow this link: https://forms.gle/muCn2CxnDSh6aUxH7
What is Opening Doors?
- The Opening Doors conference is a multi-day event for parents/guardians and their children with visual impairment age birth to five.
Who Should Attend?
- Illinois parents or guardians and their children with visual impairments and additional disabilities who are 5 years old or younger.
- Housing - Free No housing for 2021
- Food - Free No food for 2021
Program Goal Statements:
- To provide parents with information and resources on issues related to young children with visual impairments
- To provide parents with opportunities to interact with other parents raising children with visual impairments
- To provide the opportunity for participants to gain information specific to their child
- To provide children an opportunity to interact with peers
Doors to Education Session Topics: (Tentative)
- Orientation and Mobility I and II
- Early Literacy including Braille
- Sports & Adapted P.E.
- Medical Eye Conditions
- Ask the Doctor
- Cortical Visual Impairment
- Expanded Core Curriculum
- Transition from Early Intervention
- Panel Discussions
- Speech & Language
- Friendships and Children
- Sensory Processing
- Tips for Tactual Awareness
- Independent Living Skills
- Eating/Feeding Skills
Doors to Exploration
- Choice of break out sessions/topics
- Small child classroom groupings with an Educator
- Consultation available in Functional Vision and Orientation & Mobility
- Each family assigned to a Developmental Therapist-Vision as a Case Manager for the event
- ISVI Campus tours available
- Evening child care and recreational programs
- Day/Evening workshops and group discussions for parents
- Programming for siblings ages 5 and under on limited basis
- Parent Networking Opportunities
For further information, please contact:
Illinois School for the Visually Impaired
658 E. State Street
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650
Voice: (217) 479-4414
Fax: (217) 479-4412