Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Am I a class member?

    You must be an adult individual (18 and above) in Illinois who has developmental disabilities and who qualifies for Medicaid Waiver services.  You can reside in either an ICF/DD with nine or more residents, or you may live in a family home.

    If you think you are eligible to be a Ligas class member and want to be included, you must contact your Pre-Admission Screening Agency (PAS) and enroll in the Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services (PUNS) database.

    To find out if you or a person for whom you are guardian is already on the class member list, please contact:

    Department of Human Services
    Division of Developmental Disabilities
    600 East Ash  Building 400  Second Floor 
    Springfield, IL  62703

  2. Attention:  Andrea Standley
    Phone: (217) 558-3801
  3. What if I need new services developed for me?

    A Transition Service Plan will be developed by a Qualified Professional along with you, an appointed guardian, family members, friends and support staff who are familiar with you.

    The Transition Service Plan will focus on your personal vision, preferences, strengths and needs in your home, community and work.  You will get help with supporting your relationships, productive work, participation in community life, and personal decision-making.

  4. Who is responsible for helping me find an acceptable community provider?

    You will first work with your Independent Service Coordination Agency (ISC), who will be able to help you decide which services you need and want and will use your Transition Service Plan as part of the process in finding the right service provider for you. 

  5. Can I receive services in my own home?

    Yes.  You may live in your own home with the proper supports.  You can work with your Pre-Admission Screening Agency (PAS) to identify your needs and the supports you require before making your decision as to where you will live.

  6. Can I live near my family?

    This depends on the services you need and want and whether there is a service provider in your area that is able to provide you with those services.

  7. How will you know what kind of services I will need in the community?

    You will help to develop your personal Transition Service Plan, which will describe:

    • The services you need in a community-based setting or through community-based services
    • Where and how these services can be developed and obtained
    • The supports and services you will need during your transition to a community-based setting
    • A timetable for completing your transition to a new living setting
  8. What about supports during the day?

    Your PAS/ISSA agency will help you to submit a funding request packet for day services such as Personal Support Services, Day Training, Adult Day Care, Therapies, etc.  Although Day Services are included with a CILA living arrangement, some services will require additional authorization.  Please contact your ISC.

  9. What if my son or daughter is not yet 18 years old?

    Your son or daughter must be 18 or older to become a Ligas class member.  However, regardless of age, we strongly encourage you to work with a n Independent Service Coordination Agency (ISC) to get your son or daughter into the Prioritization of Urgency for Needs (PUNS) database if you will need services within the next five years.

  10. Do I have to live in a large group home?

    No.  You have a choice to live in the situation of your choosing.  The Ligas Lawsuit helps to guarantee your choice.  Your Independent Service Coordination Agency will visit your living situation to reassess your needs and wants on a quarterly basis.

  11. Can I live in a community setting if I have significant behavior or medical needs?

    Yes.  As long as you have the proper supports you need and those supports can be provided to you in your community living situation. 

  12. How are community services monitored?

    • The Department of Human Services, Bureau of Accreditation and Licensure (BALC) reviews the licensure status of providers approximately every one to three years.
    • The Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities, conducts reviews of the providers on an annual basis by random selection.  If issues are found, both entities work with the provider using plans of correction, among other tools to ensure services are provided properly and operations are running smoothly. 
    • Your PAS/ISSA advocate will visit your living situation on a quarterly basis to ensure you are getting the services you want and need.
  13. Who can I call if I have a complaint?

    You may contact the Division of Developmental Disabilities with any complaint you may have.  You will be asked to give information to the Division so that we may help you resolve any problems.  Please see the contact information below.  You can write, call or email to:

    Department of Human Services
    Division of Developmental Disabilities
    600 East Ash  Building 400  Second Floor
    Springfield, IL  62703

    Attention:  Janet Rolling, Operations Specialist
    Phone: (217) 782-5900

  14. If I live in an ICF/DD how can I look at community services before I make up my mind?

    Contact the Pre-Admission Screening Agency (PAS) in your area for help.  The ISC Agency and the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) can provide information on a large number of providers of different services.  DDD has lists of providers of services on the DDD's web site.

    We encourage you to speak with the provider and to consumers receiving services from the provider, and visit the provider agency to see how services are delivered.

  15. If I live in an ICF/DD and once before made a decision about community services, can I change my mind?

    Yes, you may change your mind for the duration of the Ligas Lawsuit monitoring period.