The Illinois Department of Human Services/Division of Substance Use Prevention and Recovery (IDHS/SUPR) administers the Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP). Illinois Public Act 099-0480 (HB0001) became effective September 9, 2015 as an enhancement to (IL PA 096-0361). The law enables non-medical persons and emergency responders such as EMS, firefighters, law enforcement to be trained in administering naloxone to persons experiencing a suspected opioid/heroin overdose to prevent it from becoming fatal.
To meet the needs of increased accessibility, IDHS/SUPR established the Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP). The law currently permits trained personnel to obtain, possess, and administer naloxone to any person who appears to be suffering an opioid-related overdose.
- Agencies or programs may voluntarily enroll in the Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP) in order to provide Overdose Education and Naloxone Distribution (OEND) services.
- DOPP has developed guidelines to inform potential enrollees about how to become enrolled as a Drug Overdose Prevention Program, including information about training protocols and administering naloxone.
Potential enrollees will include:
- SUPR Treatment Programs and Recovery Homes
- Licensed prescribing practitioners
- Public Health Departments
- For profit and Not-for-profit community-based organizations
- Educational facilities
- Urgent care facilities
- Faith-based organizations
- Police Departments
- Other municipalities
Existing DOPP enrollees:
IDHS/SUPR is providing Drug Overdose Prevention Guidelines and an Enrollment package, Standing Order and Reversal Form here on the website to help potential enrollees take steps necessary to operate and enroll a Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP).
(Click on titles below to obtain DOPP materials)
DOPP Guidelines for Implementation
Enrollment Package (IL 444-2051)
To obtain a standing order:
Reversal Form (IL 444-2053): Reversal Forms should be submitted using the DOPP Portal: https://www.ilsavesod.org/
Enrollment forms should be emailed to: DHS.DOPP.Coordinator@illinois.gov. Please cc: James.Kowalsky@illinois.gov.
Training Materials and Notices