Mental Health Intensive Outpatient

  1. What are acceptable codes for intensive outpatient services? Do we use the intensive outpatient code for everything, kind of like ACT, or should we use other codes to bill for services such as ITP and MHA?

    Answer: Intensive outpatient is not an all-inclusive, bundled service. You should use the intensive outpatient code to bill for that service only, and the appropriate code for any other service(s) provided.

  2. If a consumer is hospitalized for psychosis upon discharge from the hospital and there is no longer an intensive program, would he/she be transitioned into a PSR group?

    Answer: Mental health intensive outpatient services continue to be included in Rule 132. Depending on the clinical needs of the consumer, PSR could be appropriate, as could other services specified in the Rule.