Grievances & Appeals

  1. How do I file an appeal?
    The Appeals Line is: (800) 435-0774, TTY:(877)734-7429. 

    The address is:
    Bureau of  Hearings
    69 West Washington, 4th Floor
    Chicago, IL 60602

    To learn more on the appeals process please see: Appeals and Fair Hearings for Public Assistance Clients - DHS 377

  2. How do I file a grievance?
    To receive a grievance hearing, a client or their representative must file a written complaint within 60 days from the day the client says they were mistreated.You may file using the Client Grievance Form below:

    IL444-2622 - Client Grievance Form (pdf)

    IL444-2622 S - Formulario Para Quejas del Cliente (pdf)

    The grievance may be filed in any Family Community Resource Center (FCRC) in the state, even if it is filed against a person who does not work in that office.  For the FCRC nearest you, please use the DHS Office Locator

*Please be advised that as of January 1, 2018, the court order in Jeffries v. Swank has been vacated. As a result, for any appeal filed on or after January 1, 2018, no penalty payments are available in the event you do not receive a final decision on your appeal and full implementation of a decision favorable to you within 90 days from the time you requested the appeal.