Frequently Asked Questions Medical Assistance

  1. How do I apply for Medical Assistance?

    Although the Medical Assistance program is administered by the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, you apply at the DHS Family Community Resource Centers. See the Apply For Cash, SNAP (Food Stamps) & Medical Assistance page on the DHS website for more information on how to apply. 

  2. What are the qualifications for medical assistance programs?

    A person has to be either:

    1. Blind, Disabled or Aged (65 or older), or
    2. have children under the age of 19, or
    3. be pregnant.

    They must also meet financial eligibility criteria, residency requirements and in most cases must be citizens (except for children). See our Health & Medical Services page.

  3. I did not receive my medical card, what should I do?

    Contact your local Family Community Resource Center (FCRC). For a listing of offices, use the DHS Office Locator.

  4. How do I find out which doctors accept the medical card?

    Health Care Benefits Helpline - (866) 468-7543

  5. How do I find out which dentists accept the medical card?

    For dentists that accept Medicaid and information on covered services:

    Contact DentaQuest at the number below. 

    Voice: (888) 286-2447

    TTY: (800) 466-7566

    If you do not have Medicaid: Illinois State Dental Society - (800) 323-1743.

  6. How do I apply for All Kids? 

    For an online application, visit the All Kids website.

  7. How do I contact All Kids with questions?

    Please use the contact information on the All Kids website.

  8. What services are covered under Medicaid Programs?

    For assistance, contact the Health Care Benefits Helpline: (866) 468-7543.

  9. I have high cost private insurance and a high risk medical condition, can you help?

    The DHS Health Insurance Premium Payment Program (HIPP) may be able to assist , you may apply at your local Family Community Resource Center (FCRC).  For the office nearest you, please use the DHS Office Locator.  The Division of Insurance/Office of Consumer Health Insurance assists individuals with health insurance concerns. You can discuss your situation by calling the Uninsured Ombudsman Program at (877) 527-9431 TTY: (217) 524-4872.

  10. How do I get verification of previous medical coverage?

    To obtain a Certificate of Credible Coverage, please call.

  11. Are non-citizens eligible to receive Medicaid assistance?

    Children and pregnant women who are non-citizens may be eligible to receive medical assistance and persons (non-citizens) who have an emergency medical need.  See our Health & Medical Services.

  12. What is the Medicare Savings Program (MSP) and how do I apply?

    The Medicare Savings Program (MSP) program consists of three programs, Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMB), Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLIB or SLMB) and Qualified Individuals-1 (QI-1). Persons who receive Medicare part A and meet certain financial guidelines are potentially eligible for MSP. For more information contact your local Family Community Resource Center (FCRC). For the office nearest you, please use the DHS Office Locator. Download an MSP application (pdf).

  13. If I do not qualify for medical assistance, can you help or refer for medications?

    For assistance with prescription medication, please visit the State of Illinois Healthcare Portal website.

  14. Does DHS assist people with HIV or AIDS?

    For HIV prescription drug assistance, please call: (800) 825-3518 ; TTY: (800) 547-0466

  15. What type of changes do I need to report for my existing Medical Assistance Case?

    If you receive cash or medical assistance, you must report any change that affects your benefits. Long term care (LTC) or Supportive Living facilities (SLF) must also report any change that affects a resident's eligibility. Examples of changes include:

    1. a change in income or assets;
    2. a change in the number of people living in the house;
    3. a change of address; death; or discharge from an LTC or SLF.

    The time lines for reporting changes depend on the type of assistance being received. For more information about reporting changes, please see our policy manual. See below for how to report these changes.

  16. How do I report changes for my existing Medical Assistance Case?

    See the Change of Information.

  17. How do I report possible fraud of the medicaid program?

    Contact the Illinois State Police, Medicaid Fraud Control Unit.

  18. What is the Illinois Pre-Existing Condition Plan?

    The Illinois Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (IPXP) is a transitional insurance program for uninsured Illinois residents. The federal health reform law, "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" (the "Affordable Care Act"), establishes a federally-funded temporary high risk pool to provide affordable health insurance coverage to people who have been denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions.

  19. How do I report Fraud of Medicaid?

    Please see the Report Fraud for SNAP, Illinois Link or Medicaid page for information.