592 - Your Civil Rights

State of Illinois
Department of Human Services

Your Civil Rights

No Discrimination...

No Harassment...

No Excuses

IDHS Cannot Take Any Of The Following Actions:

  • Deny you money, care, services or other benefits you are eligible to receive.
  • Provide other eligible people with money, care, services or other benefits that are different from yours or provide them in a different way from the way we provide them to you if you are eligible to receive them.
  • Treat you differently from other eligible people in the way youget your money, care, services or other benefits.
  • Prohibit you from having the same advantages or privileges as other eligible people who receive help from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
  • Treat you differently from other people in the way the Illinois Department of Human Services determines if you are eligible to receive money, care, services or other benefits.
  • Deny or offer to other eligible people an opportunity that is different from the opportunities offered to you (if you are eligible) through the Illinois Department of Human Services. This includes the opportunity to take part in education, job training, community work programs and the opportunity to receive a hearing.

What Can I Do If I Think I Have Been Discriminated Against?

If you feel that you have been discriminated against, you have the right to file a charge with the Bureau of Civil Affairs. A written complaint must be filed within 180 days of the alleged action:

  • Fill out a Customer/Applicant Discrimination Claim Form (IL444-4026), which can be obtained at your local IDHS office, hospital, school or facility;
  • Send a written complaint to one of the following addresses:

  Central Office/Chicago

  401 S. Clinton, 6th Floor

  Chicago, IL 60607

  312-793-0210 (V) or

  Central Office/Springfield

  100 South Grand Avenue East, 3rd Floor

  Springfield, IL 62762

  217-524-7068 (V)

  217-557-4191 (Fax)

DHS.CivilAffairsComplaint@illinois.gov (Email)

  • SNAP-related discrimination complaints:  refer to USDA nondiscrimination statement on the back page for procedures on how to file a complaint directly with USDA.

Under the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, you are protected against discrimination based on disability. You have the right to file a grievance and may obtain a copy of the grievance form, Americans With Disabilities Act/Section 504 Grievance Request (IL444-4715) to do so. Grievances must be submitted within 30 days of the alleged violation to:

IDHS - ADA Coordinator

Bureau of Accessibility and Job Accommodation

401 S. Clinton, 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60607

A determination will be made and written notification sent to you within 45 business days after receipt of the grievance. If you disagree with the decision, you may appeal to the Secretary of the Department within 10 business days after receipt of the determination.

What Happens After a Charge is Filed?

An EEO/AA Officer will review your complaint immediately to determine whether there is substantial evidence to support the charge.  You will receive a written notification at the conclusion of the investigation. If you are not in agreement with the findings of the investigator, you may appeal directly to the Chief of the Bureau of Civil Affairs in writing at one of the above listed addresses. In addition, you may file a discrimination complaint with one of the following regulatory agencies:

Illinois Department of Human Rights

100 W. Randolph St., Suite 10-100

Chicago, IL 60601

312-814-6200 (V) or 866-740-3453 (Nextalk)

222 S. College St., 1st Floor

Springfield, IL 62704

217-785-5100 (V) or 866-740-3453 (Nextalk)

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

500 W. Madison, Room 2800

Chicago, IL 60661

312-869-8000 (V) or 312-869-8220 (Fax)

312-869-8001 (TTY)

United States Department of Health and Human Services

Office of Civil Rights

233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 240

Chicago, IL 60601

312-886-2359 (V) or 312-353-5693 (TTY)

Department Policy

It is the policy of the Illinois Department of Human Services that all individuals requesting services from the Department shall be free from discrimination or harassment* without regard to:

  • Race
  • Color
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • National Origin
  • Age
  • Disability
  • Political Beliefs

The Illinois Department of Human Services' Pledge

As part of our commitment to serve you, we will see to it that you:

  • Receive benefits for which you are eligible in a timely and uninterrupted manner.
  • Are treated fairly, with dignity, courtesy, and respect. 
  • Have your questions answered in a way that you understand. 
  • Receive referrals for agency supportive services and community resources. 
  • Have your complaints and disagreements with agency actions or treatment reviewed and addressed.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 ( TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

DHS 592 (R-09-22) Your Civil Rights  Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois.