State of Illinois
Department of Human Services
Career Opportunities with the Illinois Department of Human Services
IDHS is proud of its diversity,efficiency, and the services that the agency and its community partners provide to Illinois citizens.
Dear Prospective Employee:
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS). We continuously strive to identify and hire professionals to advance the mission of this agency.
IDHS is comprised of more than 13,500 employees in offices statewide, where, at any given time, job opportunities might be available. This creates the potential for you to serve the community in which you live.
As you make your way through the application process, we encourage you to take full advantage of all the resources that the Bureau of Recruitment and Hiring provides. Please do not hesitate to call upon one of our recruiters for assistance. Again, thank you for your interest in employment with IDHS.
Bureau of Recruitment
Applying for a Position:
Scan to view our current vacancies:
First Things First:
Positions are posted a minimum of 10 days
- Visit our website: www.dhs.state.il.us/Jobs
- Search jobs by: Job title, Location,County or Job Function
- Review Posting
- Must submit an online application. Using our online application: Click the "Apply" button.
- Create a profile
- Submit your online application
- Must submit application by the application closing date
- Jobs are posted for 10 business days
- Each individual job requires its own application
- Create a profile to set up job alerts
Tips On Completing the Online Application:
- If you speak a second language, include the information on your application in the skills section.
- Double check your information prior to submitting your online application.
- Include all required documents:
- Save a copy of the posting for your records.
If an exam is required for the position you are applying for, a representative from the testing center will contact you directly to schedule a date and time to complete the exam at one of the testing centers. Grades will only be issued for titles that require an exam - see below.
All testing is by appointment only.
Exam Titles: *Only the titles that read Option 3
- Executive Secretary I
- Executive Secretary II
- Executive Secretary III
- Office Administrator II, III, IV, V
- Office Aide
- Office Assistant
- Office Associate
- Office Coordinator
- Office Specialist
State government career counseling services are provided by CMS Assessment Centers virtually, email or mail. Career counseling staff will work with you to evaluate your education and experience, employment interests/preferences, salary expectations, and geographical location to determine the titles for which you may qualify.
Email Address: CMS.CounselingByEmail@Illinois.gov
No waiting period!
- Diverse, Challenging and Rewarding Experience
- Competitive Health, Vision, and Dental Plans
- 13+ Paid Holidays a Year
- 12 Sick Days a Year
- 10 Vacation Days a Year to Start
- 3 Personal Days a Year
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- State Pension, Social Security, and Deferred Compensation Invest Plan
- Flexibility to change careers - Upward Mobility Program
- Community Behavioral Health Care Professional Loan Repayment Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- 5% Bilingual Pay Differential
- 37.5 Work Week for (Most Titles)
High Need Titles:
- Registered Nurse I & II (Licensed in Illinois)
- Mental Health Technician Trainee (equivalent to a C.N.A, no experience required)
- Social Worker (Masters)
- Dietitian (Licensed in Illinois)
- Hearing & Speech Associate (Masters)
- Hearing & Speech Specialist (Licensed in Illinois)
- Physician (Licensed in Illinois)
- Physician Specialist (Licensed in Illinois)
- Medical Director (Licensed in Illinois)
- Dentist I & II (Licensed in Illinois)
- Information Services Specialist I & II (Bachelors)
- Information Systems Analyst I, II, III (Associates)
- Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee (Masters)
- Psychologist (Masters)
- Psychologist Associate (Masters)
- Activity Therapist (Bachelors)
- Educator (Licensed by ISBE)
- Social Services Career Trainee (Bachelors)
- Accountant (Bachelors)
- Cook I & II (Valid Food Service Sanitation Certificate from IDPH or Certified Food Protection Manager from ANSI)
- Office Assistant (HS Diploma/GED)
- Office Associate (HS Diploma/GED)
- Public Aid Eligibility Assistant (HS Diploma/GED)
BILINGUAL A HUGE PLUS!
- Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
- Division of Family and Community Services (DFCS)
- Division of Mental Health (DMH)
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)
- Division of Substance Use Prevention and Recovery (SUPR)
- Division of Early Childhood (DEC)
Please contact the IDHS Recruitment Team: DHS.Recruitment@Illinois.gov
Send your resume our way now!
Register to attend our next Virtual Recruitment Event!
Programs, activities and employment opportunities in the Illinois Department of Human Services are open and accessible to any individual or group without regard to age, sex, race,sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin or religion. The department is an equal opportunity employer and practices affirmative action and reasonable accommodation programs.
IDHS 4500 (R-08-22) Recruitment and Hiring Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois. P.O.#23-0226 20,000 - Copies 22-0187