Link Card Use at Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)

Automated Teller Machine (ATM)

You can ONLY use an ATM to access your cash benefits.

If you ONLY have SNAP benefits (formerly known as Food Stamps,) your card will not work in an ATM

Transaction fees

At an ATM, you are allowed:

  • 2 cash withdrawals per calendar month without a transaction fee.  For each withdrawal over 2, the Illinois Link system imposes a $1 transaction fee.
  • 2 balance inquiries per calendar month without a transaction fee.  For each balance inquiry over 2, the Illinois Link system imposes a 50¢ transaction fee.


  • A surcharge is an extra fee that the owner of the ATM charges for transactions.
  • The State of Illinois does not allow surcharges on Illinois Link transactions from Illinois ATMs. 
  • If you use an ATM outside of Illinois, you may be charged a surcharge.

Sufficient Account Balance

  • At the time an ATM transaction is requested, the account balance must be sufficient to cover:
    • the requested withdrawal amount, the transaction fee and/or surcharge (if any), or
    • the transaction fee and/or surcharge (if any) for the balance inquiry.
    • If the account balance is not sufficient to allow the transaction, the transaction is rejected.

How to use your Link card at an ATM*

  1. Insert your card
  2. Enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN) and press "ENTER"
  3. Select "WITHDRAWAL"
  4. Select "CHECKING"
  5. Enter the dollar amount and select "CORRECT" or "CANCEL"
  6. Take your cash
  7. When asked if you would like another transaction, select "NO"
  8. Take your card and receipt

*These steps may be different for each type of ATM.

How to report a problem with an ATM withdrawal

  • ATMs are associated with banks, but if you have a problem, such as the money does not come out of the machine, you must report the problem to the Illinois Link program and request an investigation. 
  • Report the problem either by going to the Illinois Link Card Website OR
  • By calling the Illinois Link Help Line at 1-800-678-LINK (5465).
  • When you report the problem, give the date, time and amount of the withdrawal, and describe the problem.