Residential Living Arrangements

What is the purpose of this service?

Throughout the state, there are many residential living options that provide 24-hour care in a variety of settings for children and adults who have a developmental disability.

Most are home-like settings integrated in the communities where individuals have access to on-site direct support staff as needed, engaging developmental programs and community amenities, such as stores, libraries, restaurants, etc.

Some living options are:

  • Community Integrated Living Arrangement (CILA)
  • Community Living Facility
  • Children's Group Home
  • Child Care Institution
  • Intermediate Care Facilities for People with Developmental Disabilities (ICF/DD):  Independent Service Coordination Agencies can link you directly to ICFs/DD. 
  • State-Operated Developmental Centers

How Do I Apply?

  1. The first and most important step you and your family can take to get help is to register with the Waiting List/Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services (PUNS) database, the waiting list. To register, you must meet with an Independent Service Coordination Agency (ISC) for pre-admission screening to see if you are eligible for services.  Independent Service Coordination Agencies can link you directly to ICFs/DD.
  2. Search the DHS Office Locator for the PAS/ISC agency closest to you.  Next to "County," select your county. If you are in Cook County, you must select "Cook" and then use your zip code.  The agency that shows can help you learn more about the DD service system.
  3. Please see: Providing Quality Services to Individuals with Developmental Disabilities - DHS 4314 for more information.