Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Illinois WIC remains committed to serving families and continuing daily operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please be aware WIC local agencies have been given the flexibility to complete WIC appointments over the telephone. These appointments include enrollment, recertification, nutrition education/issuing benefits, breastfeeding support and referrals to other services. Currently, WIC operations will vary by region/WIC local agency so please contact your local WIC clinic directly for additional details or questions.

Abbott Formula Recall Guidance

Having Trouble Finding Formula?

Updated May 12, 2022

What is the purpose of this service?

Illinois WIC: Here fo rYOU!

WIC is a food assistance program for Women, Infants, and Children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy.

For more information about what WIC does, review the brochure Make a Difference in Your Child's Life 

Who can receive these services?

Women and their children who are:

  • Pregnant, breastfeeding or just had a baby
  • Infants and Children under 5 years old (including foster children)
  • Families with a low to medium income
  • Use the Pre-Screening Tool  to find out if you might qualify for WIC benefits.

What services are offered?

WIC can provide:

  • A WIC EBT card to purchase special healthy foods - like fruits & vegetables, milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, whole grains, dry beans or peas, and peanut butter
  • Information about nutrition to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
  • Information and help about breastfeeding
  • Help in finding health care and other services in your area

WIC cannot provide:

  • Food items that are not specifically prescribed
  • Menstrual products and diapers
    • The USDA does not currently have a waiver for the WIC program to allow customers to purchase menstrual products or diapers with WIC benefits

How can I apply for WIC benefits? (WIC Participant)

Services are provided in communities throughout the state.

Use the DHS Office Locator to find your local Women, Infants and Children office near you. Make an appointment and find out what papers or documents you need to bring with you. At your appointment, WIC staff will check to see if you and your family qualify. If you need assistance, contact the State WIC Office at (217) 782-2166.

How can I apply to accept WIC at my store? (WIC Vendor)

If you are interested in accepting WIC EBT cards at your store, information about how to apply is available on the WIC Vendor Information page under Vendor Applications.

What information is needed for a WIC Vendor?

Please see the WIC Vendor Page for information, links, and printable sheets, and FAQ's 

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail:U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)  fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)  email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.