Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

What is the purpose of this service?

A Tax Break for Hard-Working People!

Who can receive these services?

If you work, you could claim the EITC to reduce your federal income taxes and/or get a bigger refund if:

  • you meet household earning restrictions;
  • meet special rules to determine which children qualify; and
  • all household members who are going to file or be claimed have a social security number.

What services are offered?

How do I apply?

You can only get the EITC if you apply for it on your federal income tax return and you can get it even if you do not owe federal income taxes.

You must have received "earned income" to qualify - that includes wages reported on Form W-2 or self-employment reported on Form 1099-MISC or other earnings.

If you were raising children, file federal Form 1040 or 1040A and attach Schedule EIC. If you were not raising children, file any federal income tax return.

If you worked in the last 3 years and you did not claim the EITC in those years but were eligible, you can still apply for EITC benefits by filing an amended tax return.

Need help filing your taxes?

More Information & Resources

Note: EITC payments will not affect any DHS benefits you are currently receiving.