For cases designated for protective payment status, the Exception Processing Unit (EPU) completes the Form 552 actions required to get client checks into a direct deposit account. EPU completes the Form 552 action based on information entered on
Authorization for Deposit of Cash Assistance -- Protective Payee Cases (Form 2493A).
EPU performs these Form 552 actions only for protective payment cases which have a:
- volunteer protective payee; or
- Family Community Resource Center protective payee (counties other than Cook).
NOTE: EPU does not complete Form 552 actions for processing client checks into direct deposit when the case is referred to the Protective Payee Service Unit (PPSU) in Chicago (see WAG 16-05-03-c).
- (EPU) Receives completed Authorization for Deposit of Cash Assistance -- Protective Payee Cases (Form 2493A).
- (EPU) Enters the following information on Form 552:
- protective payee's name, address, and bank account number;
- bank routing number information; and
- the checking or savings indicator (C or S).
- (System) Sends Notice Regarding Your Direct Deposit Request (Form 2501CF) to the protective payee.
- (System) For the first regular roll month of protective payment status, mails client's check to the protective payee (not to the bank). The check goes to the protective payee's address listed in Item 9 of Form 552.
NOTE: The first regular roll month of protective payment status is a test run of the direct deposit system to make sure the process runs smoothly. If a problem arises, the concerns can be corrected before direct deposit takes place.
- (System) Directly deposits client's check, for the 2nd regular roll month of protective payment status, into the bank account.
Example: Form 2493A is received and processed in the EPU on 12/06. Form 552 is changed to reflect the protective payee's name, address, and direct deposit information effective for the regular roll of January.
The direct deposit test run is conducted on the January check. No deposit is made to the protective payee bank account until the February regular roll mailing. The January check is sent to the protective payee at the address listed in
Item 9 of Form 552.