- If the amount of each pay varies, determine the average pay. To determine the average pay, drop cents from each individual pay and total the paychecks received in the last 30 days. Divide the total by the number of paychecks received.
- NOTE: When paid weekly (2 in Freq) and 4 pays or less are entered, ACM adds up the pays and divides by 4. If 5 pays are entered, the system adds up the pays and divides by 5. When paid biweekly (3 in Freq) and only 1 pay is entered the system divides the pay by 2. If 3 pays are entered then the system adds up the pays and divides by 3.
- Convert the average pay or anticipated pay to a monthly amount.
- For income paid twice a month, multiply the average amount (figured in Step 1 above) by 2.
- For income received weekly or every other week, convert to a monthly amount as follows:
- For income received weekly, take the average weekly gross amount (figured in Step 1 above), drop cents, and multiply the amount by 4.3. The result is the amount to budget monthly.
- For income received every other week, take the average biweekly amount (figured in Step 1 above), drop cents, and multiply the amount by 2.15. The result is the amount to budget monthly.
- Document how the amount of earned income was decided upon. In IPACS, document the information on Form 514. In ACM, document on the HOW EARNED INCOME WAS DETERMINED screen, through a narrative write-up, how the amount of earned income shown on the EARNED INCOME ACTUAL screen was decided upon. The HOW EARNED INCOME WAS DETERMINED screen appears immediately following the EARNED INCOME ACTUAL screen.
The narrative write-up is required. The write-up makes clear how that amount of earned income was determined. Information entered on the screen is retained. If information on the screen begins exceeding the available space, lines of information are deleted, beginning with the oldest information.
The HOW EARNED INCOME WAS DETERMINED screen prints with the calculations. File the calculations in the case record. If the budget was done in response to a Redetermination Application (Form 1893) attach the calculations to the form.
Example 1: A client in Mid-Point Reporting provided pay stubs with her Form 1893 that indicate she is paid $100 a week. Before the worker completes the budget for the new approval period, the client calls and tells the worker that her earnings will increase to $200 a week.
Document on the screen why $200 a week was used and how the information was obtained (e.g., "Client called on 03/13. Earnings will increase to $200 a week beginning 03/29.").
Save the ACM calculations to Content Management.
Example 2: A 94 client receiving SNAP reports that she started working and will earn $150 a week. Her first paycheck will be received on 05/15. She will receive only 3 paychecks in calendar May. The worker begins budgeting on the case for the May payment month. The information concerning the client's employment was obtained over the phone.
Document on the HOW EARNED INCOME WAS DETERMINED screen how $450 was decided upon to be budgeted for the May payment month (e.g., "Client called on 04/12 to report job. First paycheck due 05/15 for $150. Weekly paychecks of $150 also expected on 05/22 and 05/29. $450 total earnings expected in May".)