Effective 07/01/2021, Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) waiver approval allows Illinois to continue to exempt the entire State from the SNAP Work Requirement Time-Limited Benefits policy in this section through 06/30/2022 based on the authorization of extended unemployment benefits to Illinois residents. For more information about the State's operation under COVID-19 see WAG 25-06-07-p.
The SNAP Work Requirement Time-Limited benefits policy below is NOT in effect for any county in the State through 06/30/2022.
To regain eligibility the individual must have received their 3 months of SNAP benefits and lost eligibility. There is no limit to the number of times an individual can regain eligibility.
The individual must show proof that they have done one or a combination of the following in a 30 consecutive day period prior to the date of application:
- work (paid or unpaid) an average of 20 hours per week (80 hours per month); or
- volunteer to take part and comply with one of the following SNAP E&T activities, if available:
- Basic Education, Vocational Training, Work Experience, Community Workfare, Earnfare; or
- do self-initiated Community Service with a community-based organization for an average of 20 hours per week (80 hours per month) to meet the SNAP Work Requirement;
- any combination of the above.
Note: Participation in SNAP E&T is voluntary but the individual must still perform the activity for the required number of hours to meet the Work Requirement. Community Workfare is based on the household's SNAP benefit amount divided by the State minimum wage ($12.00). Community Workfare placement can only be done through a SNAP E&T Provider. A customer cannot self-initiate placement in Workfare.
To be approved to receive benefits, the individual must show proof that eligibility can be maintain monthly. The person remains eligible to receive SNAP in the following month and ongoing if he or she continues to work the required number of hours, or participates and complies with a work activity for the required number of hours.