The Reimagine Public Safety Act requires the Office of Firearm Violence Prevention to convene Local Advisory Councils (LAC) in each of the RPSA designated service areas.
Local Advisory Council Composition
Each council to be comprised of a minimum of 5 members with the following expertise or experience:
- Representative of a nonelected official
- Representative of an elected official
- Representative with public health experience in firearm violence prevention or youth development
- Two residents of the subsection of each area with the most concentrated firearm violence incidents.
Immediate Goals and Timeline of the Local Advisory Councils
Each local council will make recommendations to the OFVP on how to allocate violence prevention resources based on information provided by the OFVP, local law enforcement and other available data.
May: First LACs will focus on obtaining recommendations for easily deployable solutions to prevent violence in each community over the upcoming Summer. We will also help facilitate planning for future meetings over the summer that can happen independently in each municipality and inform long-term recommendations for the fall.
Ongoing Engagement Over Summer: Over the summer, LACs will convene on their own one or two times, with the assistance of an assigned IDHS staff member. During that time, we hope that you can work together on the following:
- Review and document how community violence has impacted your community over the summer.
- Perform community asset mapping/needs assessment to inform long term strategies.
- Prepare additional recommendations, focused on long-term solutions, for presentation to the OFVP in Fall 2022.
RPSA LAC Municipality Service Areas
Under the Reimagine Public Safety Act, Local Advisory Councils have been formed in the following service areas:
- Belleville Cluster (includes Belleville, East St. Louis, and Cahokia Heights)
- Berwyn, Cicero Cluster
- Calumet City Cluster (includes Calumet City, Harvey, Dolton, Riverdale, South Holland, Markham, and Lansing)
- Chicago Heights Cluster (includes Chicago Heights, Park Forest, and Sauk Village)
- Maywood, Bellwood Cluster
- Rock Island
- Urbana, Champaign Cluster
- Waukegan, North Chicago Cluster
Local Advisory Council Resources
Local Advisory Council Meeting Information
- LAC Kick-off Meeting, Tuesday, March 15, 2022 - Agenda for March 15, 2022
- LAC Meeting 2, Thursday, May 12, 2022 - Agenda May 12, 2022
- LAC Meeting 3, Monday, August 15, 2022 - Agenda August 15, 2022