WAG 03-02-00: Residence

PM 03-02-00

Persons must be residents of Illinois to receive Cash, Medical, or SNAP.

For Medical cases, verify residency for new applicants and at REDE/renewal. At REDE, proof of Illinois residency is not required for the following persons unless residence is questionable:

  • persons who receive SNAP benefits,
  • persons who receive TANF or AABD cash benefits,
  • persons who reside in an Illinois long term care (LTC), supportive living facility (SLF), new textIllinois Department of Corrections (IDOC); or
  • persons in a revised textcase subject to MAGI budgeting, Former Foster Care or an AABD medical case selected for auto REDE (see PM 19-02-04).

NOTE: The requirement is to verify Illinois residency, not a person's address of record. For example, a homeless person may not have an address, but can provide proof that they live in Illinois, such as a statement from a shelter, clinic, or relative. For policy about providing a mailing address or contact information see PM 01-02-01.

Always attempt to verify residence through electronic matches or by documents already provided before requesting the applicant or client to provide proof.

  • On a Family Health Plans case, proof of residence for the caretaker relative or the caretaker relative's spouse is acceptable proof for children who live with them.
  • For a child only case, the caretaker relative's residence does not have to be verified if there is proof for the child.

For SNAP, verify residence at initial application and whenever the client's residence is questionable.

Use one of the following sources to verify residence:

  • Rent Receipts
  • Leases
  • Mortgage Books
  • Utility Bills
  • Contact with landlord
  • Illinois Secretary of State clearance with response #2 (Illinois Residency Yes)
  • SOLQ clearance showing an Illinois address
  • AWVS clearance showing an Illinois address
  • Current vehicle registration 
  • Current public or private school enrollment records (of applicant or family member who lives with them) 
  • A document issued by the Mexican consular or other foreign consulate showing an Illinois address
  • A document from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or U.S. Military showing an Illinois address
  • Employment Records
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • Driver's License
  • Medical Records and Clinic Card
  • Contact with family or relatives
  • Observation of the client in stated residence
  • Statement from homeless shelter, or social service agency verifying Illinois residency (on their letterhead)
  • Current home owners or renters insurance policy
  • Property tax bill/statement with name & address
  • Mail postmarked within the last 30 days that includes first & last name and address of residence (no P.O. Box).

Applicant With Active Case Out of State

If an applicant has an active case in another state, take the following actions before you approve the application:

NOTE: Only take the following actions when the out-of-state applicant is applying for children who do not receive Title IV-E cash payments.

  1. (LOA/Designee) Telephone the out-of-state public assistance office to:
    • Advise them to cancel the case, and
    • Determine when the applicant's case will be closed by that state agency.
  2. (LOA/Designee) Notify the intake worker of the information from the other state.
  3. (Intake) Determine the exact amount of benefits the applicant will get from the other state for the month benefits are approved in Illinois.
  4. (Intake) Enter the findings in the case record.
  5. (Intake) For TANF, a payment deficit may exist between what Illinois provides and another state provides. When this occurs, approve benefits to bring the applicant's payment up to Illinois' TANF Payment Level.
  6. (Intake) Approve medical eligibility for the month the applicant meets Illinois residency requirements.

If an applicant with an active case in another state incurs medical bills while in Illinois, take the following actions:

  1. (LOA/Designee) Telephone the out-of-state public assistance office to:
    • Advise them to cancel the case, and
    • Ask if they will pay for their client's medical bills that were incurred in Illinois.
  2. (LOA/Designee) Notify the intake worker of the information from the other state.
  3. (Intake) Enter the findings in the case record.
  4. (Intake) If the other state will not pay the medical bills, authorize medical coverage for that period.

NOTE: Approve medical coverage to pay for medical bills incurred in Illinois when:

  • The other state will not pay the bills, and
  • All other eligibility factors are met.