This Action Memo provides FCRC staff with information on the 2021 Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) effective January 2021.
- The COLA effective January 2021 is 1.3%.
- The maximum SSI for a single person is increased from $783 to $794.
- The maximum SSI for a couple is increased from $1,175 to $1,191.
- A central COLA budget will occur by December 2020 cut off to affect January 2021 Cash and SNAP benefits.
January 2021 COLA Increase
The COLA effective January 2021 is 1.3%. The maximum SSI for a single person is increased from $783 to $794. The maximum SSI for a couple is increased from $1,175 to $1,191.
Central Budget of COLA
The 2021 SSA and SSI benefit amount will be centrally budgeted for January 2021 for the following programs with customers included in the central budgeting process:
- AABD Cash;
- TANF; and
- RRA Cash.
Central budgeting takes place towards the end of every month. The SSA/SSI increase will be centrally budgeted for January 2021 Cash and SNAP benefits.
Local office staff are responsible for budgeting the actual amount of the January 2021 SSA and/or SSI income for:
- persons excluded from automated income updates to RSDI and/or SSI.
Please refer to IES Report "SSA-SSI 02 Exclusion Report (Report ID: IL-LB-112-DLY) See WAG 22-14-03-a for BENDEX and WAG 22-14-03-b for SDX.
Upon receipt of the list of individual incomes not centrally updated by BENDEX/SDX interfaces take the following action:
- determine the reason for the exclusion;
- correctly budget SSA and SSI for the person(s) excluded from automated RSDI/SSI income updates; and
- correct the problem causing the exclusion, when possible.
- Instructions for budgeting the increased SSA/SSI benefits for medical will be in a separate release.
If the FCRC cannot correct the problem causing the exclusion, complete and submit Discrepancy Referral Form IL444-1925 to the SSA Programs Control Unit. Attach the verification supporting the correct customer information or benefit amount.
[signed copy on file]
Grace B. Hou
Secretary, Illinois Department of Human Services