PM 01-07-02: How an Appeal May Be Filed

WAG 01-07-02

A person can file an appeal:

  • orally;
  • in writing;
  •  revised textby using the ABE Appeals Portal;
  • by facsimile (fax);
  • by mail;
  • in person at the Bureau of Hearings (BAH); or
  • at any FCRC.

ABE Appeals

revised textA client or authorized representative can access the ABE Appeals Portal to file and manage appeals.  All correspondence from the Bureau of Hearings will be available in the ABE Appeals Portal including the Final Administrative Decision. 

Written Appeals

A fax of the client's request for an appeal is the same as an original written request.  A written appeal must be signed by the client or a person revised textauthorized to represent the client.  revised textIf the written appeal is signed by an authorized representative, the client must give the representative written authorization to file an appeal on his or her behalf.  Advise clients to send a written appeal to either the Family Community Resource Center serving that client or the DHS Bureau of Assistance Hearings (BAH).

Child Care appeals may also be filed with the Child Care Resources and Referral (CCR&R) or the Bureau of Child Care and Development.

Faxed and Mailed Appeals

revised textAppeals received by a Family Community Resource Center, other Department offices, or a CCR&R must be date-stamped and uploaded in IES within 48 hours.  If the client files an appeal at a FCRC that is not currently serving the client, the FCRC should upload all documents to IES and notify the servicing FCRC.  Scan and upload the postmarked envelope if the request was mailed to the office or the transmittal sheet if it was faxed to the office. For appeals signed by an authorized representative, scan and upload a copy of the client's authorization (Form IL444-0960).  Upload all documents to IES.  The FCRC shall process all appeal request submitted and shall not make a determination as to the appropriateness or timeliness of the appeal request.  For TANF sanction appeals, write SANCTION at the top for expedited processing. File copies of all documents in the case record.

Phone or In Person Appeals

A person may file an appeal by phone by calling the Bureau of Hearings' toll-free number (1-800-435-0774).

For SNAP appeals only, a person may file an appeal by telling DHS staff, by phone or in person, that they want to appeal.