Make an immediate report of any suspected child abuse or neglect to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS). This mandate applies to all staff who, while working, come into contact with a child.
Contact DCFS when there is reason to believe, or information is received, that a child may be abused or neglected. This includes children in their own homes, in long term care settings, or in any other setting.
Call the 24-hour Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-25-ABUSE (800-252-2873), if you suspect that a child has been harmed or is at risk or being harmed by abuse or neglect. If you believe a child is in immediate danger or harm, call 911 first.
When making a report of suspected child abuse or neglect, provide the following:
- name and address of the child;
- name and address of the parent(s) or other person(s) responsible for the child's welfare;
- child's age, sex, and race;
- nature of the child's condition, including any evidence of previous injuries, abuse or neglect to the child, or to other children in the child's immediate family;
- identity of the person(s) believed to have caused the abuse or neglect; and
- any other information which may be helpful in the investigation of the reported incidence of abuse or neglect.