988 - Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (24 hour)
If you or a loved one are experiencing a mental health crisis you may call or text 988, the 24-hour Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. You will be connected to the closest possible crisis center in your area. Dial 2 for Spanish. Go to the 988 Hot Line Illinois website for more information.
988+1 - Veteran's Crisis Line
To reach caring, qualified responders within the Department of Veterans Affairs, connect with the Veterans Crisis Line. Many of them are Veterans themselves. This free support is confidential, available 24/7, and serves all veterans, service members, National Guard and Reserve, and their families and friends.
- Call 988 then press 1 at the prompt or Text: 838255.
- For TTY user: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 1-800-273-8255.
- Online Chat is Available
In the absence of a trusted adult, Safe2Help Illinois offers students a safe, confidential way in which to share information that might help prevent suicides, bullying, school violence or other threats to school safety. This program is not intended to suspend, expel, or punish students. Rather, the goal is to get students to "Seek Help Before." Safe2Help Illinois has developed a Mental Health Toolkit aimed at changing the culture in Illinois schools while also providing the resources to help parents and educators reinforce the components of this program.
- Call 844-4-SAFEIL (723345)
- Text SAFE2 (72332)
- Download the Safe2Help App at either Google or Apple
Illinois Call4Calm Text Line
If you or a loved one are struggling with stress related to the COVID-19 pandemic and need emotional support, text TALK to 552020 for English or HABLAR for Spanish (Message and Data Rates May Apply. See Terms & Conditions of Use). This service is free and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. People seeking assistance will remain anonymous and will provide only their first name and zip code, which enables the service to link you to a counselor in your area who is knowledgeable about available local resources.
Illinois Warm Line
If you or one of your family members has mental health and/or substance use challenges and would like to receive support by phone, call the Illinois Warm Line at 866-359-7953. Wellness Support Specialists are professionals who have experienced mental health and/or substance use recovery in their own lives. They are trained in recovery support, mentoring, and advocacy and are ready to listen and support you. The Warm Line is not a crisis hotline, but is a source of support as you recover or help a family member to recover.
- Hours of Operation: Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. except holidays
Illinois Helpline for Opioids & Other Substances
If you or someone you know is suffering from an opioid use disorder or other substance use disorders, call the Illinois Helpline for Opioids and Other Substances at 1-833-2FINDHELP (833-234-6343) to speak with a trained professional for support and advice or to be directed to customized resources or visit their Illinois Helpline website.
We Know the Feeling (Problem Gambling)
If you or someone you know is suffering from gambling disorder, call 1.800.GAMBLER (800-426-2537), text GAMBLER TO 833234, or visit their website to be connected to resources and treatment programs.
- National Helpline | SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Free and confidential treatment referral and information service available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 1-800-622-4357 (HELP)
- National Runaway Safeline
- This 24-hour 7 day a week national Safeline is for youth at risk of running away or already have and are looking for help. 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or text: 66008
- Crisis Text Line
- The Crisis Text Line serves anyone, in any type of crisis, 24-hours a day. Text HELLO to: 741741. Trained crisis counselors will respond and help you.