The Home Services Program (HSP) is focused on protecting the health and safety of all our customers, providers, and staff. All communications impacting HSP will be posted on this site. Because of the speed at which the situation is changing, please check this site often as information will be added as it become available.
For general non-HSP specific information on COVID-19, you can utilize the IDHS COVID-19 hotline at 1 (800) 889-3931 or: https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=123118
DRS Hotline 1-877-581-3690: If you know your local DRS office or counselor's contact information, please continue to use that means of contact. If you do not know your local DRS office or Counselors contact information, please use the new DRS Hotline and you will be directed to the appropriate contact in your region.
If you are an HSP customer in need of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), please contact your Counselor, your local DRS office or the DRS Hotline listed above.
Temporary Exceptions under the State of Emergency
Customer Hospitalization Assistance
Spouses and Parents as Providers
EVV and Clock In/Out Process
Frozen and Shelf Stable Foods
Telephone Redeterminations: (Back to top)
- Counselors are authorized to complete annual redeterminations and referrals over the phone.
- The Counselor will contact you to schedule the date and time of your telephone appointment.
Customer Hospitalization Assistance: (Back to top)
- If an HSP customer is hospitalized due to COVID-19 related circumstances, their Individual Provider may be reimbursed for providing personal care services to the customer while they are in the hospital.
- The customer must contact their HSP Counselor to receive prior approval.
- Services are limited to personal care (eating, bathing, grooming, dressing, etc.).
- Individual Providers are still limited to the customer's service plan hours and cannot exceed 16 working hours in a 24-hour period.
Spouses and Parents as Providers: (Back to top)
- This temporary exception will allow Spouses or Parents of Minors to enroll as a paid provider during the State of Emergency.
- Customers must contact their HSP Counselor if they need to hire a Spouse or Parent. The Counselor will assist with the hiring process and discuss the number of hours available in your Service Plan. The number of hours available for a spouse or parent to work will be based upon the customer's personal care needs as identified in the service plan.
- Spouses and Parents of Minors must stop billing for services provided to the customer once the State of Emergency is lifted.
Respite Services: (Back to top)
- If a respite customer has an unpaid provider who is unable to provide care during the COVID-19 pandemic, HSP Counselors can authorize additional service hours in an amount dependent upon the participants specific needs. This is only necessary for those respite cases that will exceed their 240-hour limit during the period of the COVID-19 pandemic.
EVV and Clock In/Clock Out Process: (Back to top)
HSP customers and their providers are still required to use Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) and maintain and submit a timesheet.
- During the COVID-19 emergency, pay checks will be calculated by your EVV clock in and clock out times. Until further notice, your EVV time recordings are crucial to accurate pay.
- Timesheets must be complete and legible and must include the signatures of both the customer and IP
- Timesheets may be scanned, faxed, photocopied, or similarly reproduced if the copy is of the original document.
- Signatures may be original handwritten, electronically reproduced or digitally signed.
- IPs may use the standard 3-ply carbon timesheets, photocopy of the 3-ply carbon timesheet or the PDF version of the timesheet.
- DRS local offices are operating remotely and are not open to the public. Local office staff regularly check mail boxes to accept physical timesheets. Timesheets may be submitted through any of the HSP-approved methods: email, fax, drop boxes now located at the local office, or USPS.
- This is a temporary measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and is not meant to be punitive to providers.
- If the provider feels their pay is inaccurate:
- The customer can submit the paper timesheet electronically to the Counselor.
- DRS will work to reconcile any discrepancies between the timesheet and EVV records as soon as possible to make the provider whole.
- HSP providers are encouraged to use the 1-800-804-3833 automated system to ensure the hours of work have been processed and paid.
Frozen and Shelf Stable Foods: (Back to top)
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, HSP will be temporarily allowing frozen and shelf stable meals.
This allowance is to limit the possible exposure to daily deliveries as well as assist customers when their fresh meal vendor may be limiting daily delivery services.
*Documents and postings with an archived date may not reflect currently accurate practices. Please talk with your HSP Counselor or Coordinator if you have questions about archived information.
Created: 3/17/2020, Updated:
3/19/2020, 3/21/2020, 3/22/2020, 3/25/2020, 3/26/2020, 4/7/2020, 4/22/2020, 5/12/2020, 6/1/2020, 7/15/2020, 8/19/2020,9/1/2020, 9/22/2020, 9/29/2020, 1/25/2021, 1/28/2021, 5/4/2022