This Action Memo provides FCRC staff with information on the 2020 Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) effective January 2020.
- The COLA effective January 2020 is 1.6%.
- The maximum SSI for a single person is increased from $771 to $783.
- The maximum SSI for a couple is increased from $1,157 to $1,175.
- A central COLA budget will occur by December 2019 cut off to affect January 2020 Cash and SNAP benefits.
January 2020 COLA Increase
The Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) effective January 2020 is 1.6%. The maximum SSI for a single person is increased from $771 to $783. The maximum SSI for a couple is increased from $1,157 to $1,175.
Central Budget of COLA
The 2020 SSA and SSI benefit amount will be centrally budgeted for January 2020 for the following programs with clients included in the central budgeting process:
- AABD Cash cases;
- SNAP cases;
- TANF cases; and
- RRA Cash cases.
Central budgeting takes place towards the end of every month. The SSI/SSA increase will be centrally budgeted for January 2020 Cash and SNAP benefits.
Local office staff are responsible for budgeting the actual amount of the January 2020 SSA and/or SSI income for:
- persons excluded from automated income updates to RSDI and/or SSI.
Please refer to IES Report "SSA-SSI 02 Exclusion Report (Report ID: IL-LB-112-DLY) See WAG 22-14-03-a for BENDEX and WAG 22-14-03-b for SDX.
Upon receipt of the list of individual incomes not centrally updated by BENDEX/SDX interfaces take the following action:
- determine the reason for the exclusion;
- correctly budget SSA and SSI for the person(s) excluded from automated RSDI/SSI income updates; and
- correct the problem causing the exclusion, when possible.
If the FCRC cannot correct the problem causing the exclusion, complete and submit Discrepancy Referral Form IL444-1925 to the SSA Programs Control Unit. Attach the verification supporting the correct client information or benefit amount.
[signed copy on file]
Grace B. Hou
Secretary, Illinois Department of Human Services