1.7.1 - Nondiscrimination
Projects are to be conducted in such a manner that no persons shall be excluded from participating in, be denied the benefits for, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under such programs on the grounds of age, handicap, race, color, creed, religion, sex, or national origin pursuant to the provision of Title VI, Civil Rights Act of 1984, (42 U.S.C. 2000e et seq.); Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (42 U.S.C. 6101 et seq.).
Affirmative action shall be taken to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment in accordance but not limited to the following laws and regulations and all subsequent amendments:
- The Illinois Human Rights Act (775 ILCS 5/1-101 et seq.), including, without limitation, 44 Ill. Admin. Code Part 750;
- The Public Works Employment Discrimination Act (775 ILCS 10/1 et seq.);
- The United States Civil Rights Act of 1964 (as amended) (42 USC 2000a- and 2000h-6). (See also guidelines to Federal Financial Assistance Recipients Regarding Title VI Prohibition Against National Origin Discrimination Affecting Limited English Proficient Persons [Federal Register: February 18, 2002 (Volume 67, Number 13, Pages 2671-2685)]);
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 USC 794);
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (as amended) (42 USC 12101 et seq.); and
- The Age Discrimination Act (42 USC 6101 et seq.).
Periodic reviews of operating procedures shall be made to assure that operating practice continues to be in conformity with the above requirements.
Any person has the right to file a complaint with the Department, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, or both, if they believe that discrimination on the grounds of age, handicap, race, color, creed, religion, sex or national origin is being practiced. If filed with the Department, the complaint shall be routed to the Director's office where it shall be reviewed and investigated by a special committee appointed by the Director. A report of final disposition shall be sent to the complainant and to the appropriate federal agency.