Recovery Residence Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a recovery residence?

A: Recovery residence is a broad term that encompasses the full range of recovery housing and services and programs offered in the homes.

Q: What is a Recovery Home?

A: Recovery Homes are alcohol and drug free housing components whose rules, peer-led groups, staff activities and/or other structured operations are directed toward maintenance of sobriety for persons who exhibit treatment resistance, relapse potential and/or lack of suitable recovery living environments or who recently have completed substance use disorder treatment services or who may be receiving such treatment services at another licensed facility. Administrative Code Title 77, Part 2060.509

Q: What is an Oxford House?

A: An Oxford House is a democratically run, self-supporting and drug free home for those recently or currently in recovery.

Q: I know about a recovery residence that isn't included on here. How do I get it added to the registry?

A: Please go to [RRR page] to access our registration form.

Q: How do I get a Recovery Home license?

A: Visit the IDHS/SUPR "Become a Substance Use Disorder Intervention/Treatment Provider" page at

Q: How do I find the right recovery residence for myself or someone I know?

A: Call the Illinois Helpline for Opioids and Other Drugs at 1-888-234-6343 (1-888-2FindHelp) Or visit them online at

Q: What if I have a complaint about a Recovery Home?

A: Send complaints in writing to:


License and Compliance Unit
401 S. Clinton 2nd Floor
Chicago, IL. 60607