Temporary Medical Assistance - Frequently Asked Questions

IDHS Seal and Logo
HFS Logo

Printer Friendly version (pdf)

How long does the State have to process my medical application?

The law requires the State to process medical applications as follows:

  • 60 days - Medical assistance for persons requiring a disability determination.
  • 45 days - Medical assistance for all others.

What if I need medical assistance immediately?

The State processes applications on a daily basis in the order they are received. The State may prioritize certain cases, such as for newborn children and pregnant women. You can let medical providers know you are in the process of applying for medical assistance.

What if I haven't received a written decision about my application within the specified timeframes?

If you have provided all information requested on your application but your application is not decided on time, you should receive a Notice of Possible Entitlement to Temporary Medical Assistance (called an HFS 2350 Notice) in the mail and online in Manage My Case. This Notice tells you that you have the right to request free temporary medical assistance.

What should I do if I receive the Notice of Possible Temporary Medical Assistance?

You can respond and request a temporary card (called a "T card") to use to get free temporary medical assistance. You can request a "T Card" in the following ways:

  • Call the All Kids Unit toll free at 1-877-805-5312 (TTY: 1-877-204-1012). After choosing English or Spanish, press 8 to request a temporary medical card.
  • Online by logging into Application Benefits Eligibility (ABE)/Manage My Case at https://abe.illinois.gov/abe/access/ -- You should see a "Request Temporary Card" button after you log on. Press it, and a Temporary Card will available within 24 hours
  • Contact your local office in person
  • In writing to P.O. Box 19138, Springfield, IL 62794 or the office where you applied
  • By telephone to the office where you applied
  • By Fax to the phone number on your notice (or include fax number to Central Scanning Unit)

The Notice you receive in the mail will tell you when the temporary medical assistance would begin.

If you do not request the temporary medical assistance, you will not receive a temporary medical card.

What if I requested a T card but still haven't received it?

Please give us a few days to process your request. If you requested temporary medical assistance but have not received a T card, please contact your local office. Make sure to receive a RIN number and confirm that your T Card is active.

What happens with my medical application if I get a temporary medical card?

Receiving a temporary medical card has no impact on your Medicaid application. If you receive letters or other notices from the State about your application, you will still need to respond and provide any information requested. If you do not provide requested information, it is possible that your application will be denied. If your application is denied, your Temporary Medical Assistance will also end.

How long am I covered under the Temporary Medical Assistance?

Temporary medical assistance begins when you make the request for it and will end when a final decision is made on your medical assistance application.

Are only emergencies covered?

No. All services except for long-term services and supports (LTSS) are covered by temporary medical assistance. You can receive regular doctor's visits, preventative care visits, prescriptions, and other services. You do not need to wait for an emergency to request temporary assistance.

What about a person waiting for long-term services and supports (LTSS)?

The State will provide long-term services and supports (LTSS), such as nursing facility services, through a Provisional Eligibility process. For more information, please visit: https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/SiteCollectionDocuments/ProvisionalEligibilityFAQ9122018.pdf

Will I have to pay back anything to the State if my Medical Assistance application is denied?

No. You are not responsible for medical expenses paid on your behalf while you are receiving temporary medical assistance.