Illinois Mental Health Planning and Advisory Council
May 3, 2018
Attendees in Chicago:
Andrea Cooke, Ray Connor, Fred Friedman, Joanne Furnas, Dennis Hopkins, Anne Irving, Irwin Kerzner, Ron Melka, Margo Roethlisberger, Brenda Hampton
Attendees in Springfield:
Lee Ann Reinert, Lisa Betz
Attendees by Telephone:
Mary Ann Abate, Cindy Backstein, Georgianne Broughton, Regina Crider, Cindy Daxenbichler,, Cara Emrich, Sondra Frazier, AJ French, Diana Knaebe, Nanette Larson, Robin McGinnis, Orson Morrison, John Shustitzky, Dan Silbert, Christine Walker
Guests from Chicago:
Karen Cargile, Joe Cirricione
Call to Order:
The Meeting was called to order by Andrea Cooke at 12:42 p.m.
Approval of Minutes
Ron Melka moved to approve the Meeting Minutes from March 1, 2018, seconded by Cindy Daxenbichler. Motion Passed.
Division of Mental Health Report
- Brenda (DMH) reported on the William Consent Decree. The current number 222. There is concern that the numbers are low. There are openings in: Peoria - 7 beds; Chicago - 8 beds. The Death Count: 60 since implementation, 5 in the last month. Recidivism: 236 members have returned out of 2,191 placements.
- Lee Ann Reinert reported on Rule 132 - DMH sent out a link. Comment period ends June 4th.
- Grants: many require partnerships; Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) went out.
- Reference Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) - established ACT teams. DMH is looking to partner with established ACT teams.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is more recognized as an effective treatment.
- Discussion referring to Block Grants - is it increasing? Lee Ann reported there is still confusion about this. May have to submit additional documentation/updates, but the Feds haven't done their part to allow these updates to happen.
- New name for DASA is: SUPR (Substance Use Prevention & Recovery).
- Director Knaebe is requesting a meeting with the Criminal Justice Committee. Fred will coordinate this.
Strategic Planning Committee:
- The Committee met the day after the Illinois Primary. Reported they are working on the Mission, Vision and Value Statement.
- A meeting scheduled for May 10th. A retreat is scheduled for June 13th.
- John requested that at the July Meeting that the Mission, Vision and Value Statement be reviewed by IMHPAC members.
- Reappointment of Members to New Terms: Ron has sent out notices to all members on the list. Fourteen responses to apply from numerous counties were received. A sub-committee was formed to review applicants.
- Officers: Committee has received only a few responses due to incorrect phone numbers. John suggested we only accept nominations, not vote as this time.
- Consumer Co-Chair: Andrea Cooke and Matt Perry
- Provider Co-Chair: John Shustitzky (accepted nomination)
- Secretary: Thane Dykstra (Trinity CEO)
- Treasurer: Fred Friedman
- Adult In-Patient:
Andrea discussed several articles that she and Dennis read concerning inpatient treatment in Illinois. The gist of the articles was that Illinois has a much higher rate of hospitalization for individuals with serious mental illness than other states. Also mentioned was the shortage of mental health providers in Illinois. The 1115 Medicaid Waiver should help with these issues.
- Children & Adolescents: Has not met - no report.
- AJ expressed concern about budget cuts for MH services in Illinois in light of possible reductions. Do recommendations need to be made by IMHPAC? She also reminded the Council of the Advocacy Day in Springfield on Thursday, May 17th.
- Add-on Rate expires 6/30/18 - this will impact services. There is a House Bill to make the Add-On permanent (HB5500).
- SASS, as we know it, is changing 7/1/18.
- May 23rd - Children's MH Policy Day at the Capitol.
Lisa Betz gave a reminder about Children's Awareness - buildings will be lit up in green.
Motion to adjourn was made by AJ French. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 2:14 p.m.
Scheduled for July 12th - 12:30 p.m.