01.03.01 - Two Parent Household

Effective Date:  01/01/00
Revised:  02/10/12, 01/01/13, 07/01/2022
Reference:  89 Ill. Adm. Code, Chapter IV, §50.210
Cross Reference: 01.03.02 - Employment; 01.03.03 - Education and Training Activities; 01.03.05 - Teen Parents; 01.03.07 - Active Military Duty

Policy Statement:

To the extent resources permit, the Department shall provide child care services:

  1. to parents or other relatives who are working outside the home and are unable to supervise their children;
  2. to parents or other relatives who are participating in training, or education programs, including web-based courses or correspondence learning from an accredited university, that are approved by the Department;
  3. to teen parents to enable them to obtain a high school degree or its equivalent, to provide time to find employment after graduation, and to provide a stable learning environment for their children.
  4. Relatives (other than parents) who receive child-only TANF benefits as a Representative Payee for children in need of care while they work;
  5. Families with active CCAP cases in which any parent/guardian in the household are called into active military duty;
  6. Meets any criteria outlined in CCAP Policy 01.03.10 - CCAP Protective Services Child Care; and
  7. To allow parents or other relatives to search for an eligible activity

In a two-parent household, the applicant/head of household must be working, in an approved education and training activity and unavailable to care for the child(ren) or meets any criteria listed in CCAP Policy Manual Section .01.03.10 - CCAP Protective Services Child Care. 

Any other person in the home that meets the definition of "parent" or "other relative" in CCAP Policy Manual; Section 01.01.02 - Family Composition must also meet the same employment and/or education activity requirements as the head of household, or for one of the following reasons:

  1. A physical or mental disability which limits the ability of the parent to provide adequate child care;
  2. Participation in an alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
  3. Military service away from home (see CCAP Policy 01.13.10 - CCAP Protective Services Child Care).;
  4. Participation in a Department approved program such as a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Employment and Work Activity (see 89 Ill. Adm. Code 112.78) Work Activity or Teen Parent Services (TPS).
  5. Meets any criteria outlined in CCAP Policy 01.03.10 - CCAP Protective Services Child Care

The applicant must furnish written documentation to verify the reason why the other parent, if living in the home, is unable to work and unable to provide care for the children that live in the home.

  1. To document the other parent's physical or mental health problem or participation in a rehabilitation program, the applicant shall submit written verification from the treating physician, psychiatrist, or other appropriate licensed health care practitioner that includes details of the nature and degree of the person's disability or impairment, the reason the condition prevents the individual from providing care, and the projected length of disability.
  2. To document military service away from home, the applicant must furnish a copy of the orders from the appropriate branch of the military that details the length and location of the assignment as well as any money allowances for clothing and housing.
  3. To document participation in a Department approved program, the applicant must submit a copy of the Responsibility and Service Plan (RSP) (FORM 4003) or other relevant Department forms signed by the caseworker.


For a two-parent household, when only one parent participates in an eligible activity, the application must indicate that the other parent is disabled, is participating in a rehabilitation program, or is in military service away from home. 

  1. To document a disability or participation in a rehabilitation program, written documentation must:
    1. Be on company letterhead stationery;
    2. Include the name of the parent who is disabled or in a rehabilitation program;
    3. Be an original written description of the disability and be signed by a physician, psychiatrist or other appropriate licensed health care provider;
    4. Include a statement or an explanation about how the disability prevents the parent from caring for their own child(ren); and
    5. Include the projected length of incapacitation or length of rehab program.
  2. To document military service away from home:
    1. Obtain a copy of the orders from the appropriate branch of the military; and
    2. Do not include any money allowances for clothing, housing, etc. in income calculation or count the absent parent in the family size.
  3. To document the second parent's participation in a TANF-required activity other than employment, the family must submit a current Responsibility and Service Plan (RSP) with the activity listed.

If an applicant indicates the other parent is incarcerated, request official documentation from the court or correctional facility. Or, if the other parent is incarcerated in a state prison, you may confirm this on your own by visiting the Illinois Department of Corrections website at http://www.idoc.state.il.us/.  From the home page, click on inmate search.  Government and Law Enforcement agencies/officials only may call: 1-888-446-9103.  For federal prisons check http://www.bop.gov/