In 2017, the State of Illinois transitioned to the Integrated Eligibility System (IES), a new computer based public benefits application and management system. The PACIS screens that previously provided information on medical, cash and SNAP recipients, eligibility and benefit levels (F1- ACID and F4 - ANQR) was decommissioned and has not been updated since 10/2017. For this reason we no longer allow external non-contractual agencies inquiry access to PACIS. We have a process in place for agencies requesting access to the public benefits data from the state of Illinois through inquiry access to our Integrated Eligibility System (IES). Requirements to gain access to this system are stringent as Illinois has aligned itself with mandated federal guidelines. Agencies must meet legal guidelines and statutes that govern access to public benefits data. In regards to operating system requirements for agencies who will be accessing IES, currently the State standard is IE 11 and IES supports this and will continue to support the State standard as it changes. For optimal performance and support in IES your agency should be using IE 11.
Table of Contents
- Requirements for Agencies requesting Data-Share Access
- Application Steps
- Security and HIPAA Training and Attestations
- IES Training
- Security and Privacy Controls Questionnaire (SPCQ) Assistance
- Application for Benefits Eligibility (ABE) Manage My Case & Provider Portal
- DHS Helpline Resource Center
- Information Exchange Agreement between SSA and IDHS
- Contact Information
Requirements for Agencies requesting Data-Share Access
- Complete Application steps as outlined below
- Annual completion of HIPPA and Security Awareness Training for each individual at your agency requesting access to IES
- Completion of Data-Share Agreement with HFS and/or DHS
- Non-State agencies will need to obtain an External Illinois.gov ID through the Illinois DoIT Identity Management System for each individual at your agency who will want access to IES. This will be needed to log into IES - you must have a State of Illinois issued driver's license to complete the automated online process. Those without an Illinois Drivers License will need to complete a manual request to obtain an external Illinois.gov ID. Non DHS/HFS State of Illinois agencies will log in to IES with their State of Illinois Outlook IDs and passwords.
- Completion and approval of a security questionnaire that evaluates your agency's security and privacy controls posture. See the SPCQ Assistance (pptx) document for more information on the state's security guidelines and requirements.
- Non-state agency system users accessing IES through the Internet will require additional steps when logging into the system. This will involve logging in to IES with an username and password, then waiting for an email with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to complete the final log-in to IES.
- Each agency will need to appoint an Agency Security Administrator (ASA). This person will be the point of contact for agency user support for IES as well as the person who will communicate with HFS or DHS as needed.
Please preview all steps before beginning
- Complete IES Access Application for External Agencies IL444-4521 (pdf) - this details Agency need and purpose for access. You can use email option in upper left corner of form to email to HFS.PacisTransition@illinois.gov . If your Agency is a contractual Vendor/Provider for a DHS or HFS Division you may skip this step.
- After your application is approved, begin work on data-share agreement. The state will initiate this process. Your agency will also need to complete the IDHS Security and Privacy Controls Questionnaire (pdf) and obtain an 'Approval' from the IES Security Officer before the data-sharing agreement can be approved. Because approval of this document can be a lengthy process, we advise that you begin this as soon as possible.While this work is in progress, individuals at your agency may begin state mandated HIPAA and Security Awareness Training modules (links below). These MUST be completed by all staff before they will be allowed to access IES and retaken annually.
- ONLY AFTER AGREEMENT IS COMPLETED - each individual at non-state agencies who will access IES will need to obtain an External Illinois.gov ID at: Illinois DoIT Identity Management System, third option down. When you complete this process you will be given a Username and Domain. Keep and safeguard the print-out with this information, you will need it to complete the next step and to log in to IES. If you already have an external.illinois.gov ID you DO NOT need to obtain a new ID. Make sure you save your password and configure reset options when you get your ID/Username! This is what you will use to log into IES! If you experience problems in obtaining your External Illinois.gov ID, DO NOT contact CMS or DoIT directly. Instead, if you are with a state agency, contact your own IT personnel to create an Enterprise Service Request (ESR); all other agencies please email HFS.PacisTransition@illinois.gov so that we can route your problem appropriately. If you are not a resident of Illinois, or do not have a state issued ID you can also use this email for assistance. Here is a Job Aid to help you complete this step: Job Aid Creating IES A/D ID (docx)
- After steps 1 - 3 have been completed, submit a DHS or HFS Access Request Form for each staff person that will access IES. If you are not with a state agency you must have above ID(Username) before completing this step!
- Agencies with DHS contracts and Data Sharing Agreements (DSAs) complete Community Provider User ID and System Access Request - IL444-2022 - One per individual, and submit to your DHS Liaison.
- The External Administrators should physically verify the user requesting access is in fact the person they claim to be by use of a valid photo ID types listed. Valid ID types are: current driver's license or photo ID card issued by the Illinois Secretary of State's Office or any other State; a valid Armed Forces ID; and a valid U.S. passport or foreign passport (with U.S. travel visa) containing the holder's photograph.
- In the "User System Access Requested" section on the IL444-2022, the External Agency Security Administrator (ASA)will check, "IES" and in the "Other" field on the form state, "Identity Verified with _____________(Insert Valid ID Type)".
- The External Administrators need to keep a file copy of the IL444-2022 forms and a photocopy of the ID used for verification along with security documents 2, 4 and 5 listed below under Attestations for each IES user.
- Agencies with HFS contracts and Data Sharing Agreements (DSAs) will complete HFS IES Access Request (pdf) HFS-1706G one per individual, to be completed after steps 1 through 4 and submitted to your HFS Liaison.
- The External Agency Security Administrator should physically verify the user requesting access is in fact the person they claim to be by use of a valid photo ID type. Valid ID types are: current driver's license or photo ID card issued by the Illinois Secretary of State's Office or any other State; a valid Armed Forces ID; and a valid U.S. passport or foreign passport (with U.S. travel visa) containing the holder's photograph.
- In white space on the HFS-1706G form, the External Administrator will write "Identity Verified with________ (Insert Valid ID Type)".
- The External Agency Security Administrator needs to keep a file copy of the HFS-1706G forms and a photocopy of the ID used for verification along with other security documents 2, 4 and 5 listed below under Attestations for each IES user.
Security and HIPAA Training and Attestations
- Security Awareness Training (pdf)
- Security Awareness Training Form (IES Certificate of Understanding) (doc)
- HIPAA Training (pdf)
- Certificate of Understanding and Confidentiality Agreement (pdf)
These trainings are state mandated and must be completed annually. Your agency may be audited for compliance and you must be able to produce these forms for all IES users at your agency. *If your agency has 'in-house' training already in place, this can take the place of these trainings. You must maintain documentation of this training.
Non-State External Agencies
Security and Privacy Controls Questionnaire (SPCQ) Assistance
This Slide deck will give you an overview of the state's security requirements for agencies requesting access to IES and offer assistance and guidance in completing this Assessment tool.
If you are an AKAA, MPE, LTC, or Hospital Provider you have new functionality available to you in ABE through the Provider Portal. As this type of Provider you may also be able to view your client's public benefits information through this portal.
Additional information and Guides for ABE Users
Information Exchange Agreement between SSA and IDHS
IDHS External Data Sharing Partners receiving/accessing information from the Social Security Administration (SSA) must operate in a manner consistent with SSA's Information Technology (IT) security policies and in compliance with the terms of electronic information exchange agreements executed by SSA with outside entities. The SSA information may be used only for purposes explicitly stated in the corresponding IDHS Data Sharing Agreement.
If you have questions regarding any of these documents, please email: HFS.PacisTransition@illinois.gov for assistance!