After a Charge is Filed

What to Expect

After a charge is filed and received by the Bureau of Civil Affairs, the following will occur:

  1. An EEO/AA officer will review your complaint and conduct an investigation.
  2. A determination will be made whether there is substantial evidence to support the charge.
  3. You will receive a written notification at the conclusion of the investigation.
  4. If you are not in agreement with any of the findings of the investigator, you may appeal directly to the Chief of the Bureau of Civil Affairs in writing at the following address:
    • BCA Chicago
      Chief of the Bureau of Civil Affairs
      401 S. Clinton, 6th Floor
      Chicago, IL 60607

Additional Regulatory Agencies

In addition, you may file a discrimination complaint with one of the following regulatory agencies:

Illinois Department of Human Rights
535 West Jefferson, 1st Floor
Springfield, IL 62702
Phone: (217) 785-5100
TTY: (866) 740-3953
Fax: (217) 785-5106

  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
    JCK Federal Building
    230 South Dearborn Street
    Chicago, IL 60604
    Phone: (312) 872-9744
    Fax: (312) 558-1260
    TTY: (866) 744-3953
  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
    Robert A. Young Federal Building
    1222 Spruce, Room 8-100
    Phone: (800) 669-4000
    Fax: (314) 539-7894
    TTY: (800) 669-6820

Food Assistance (SNAP) Specific

Finally, if you have applied for food assistance and feel that you have been discriminated against, you may send a written complaint to:

  • United States Department of Agrigulture
    Director, Center for Civil Rights Enforcement
    Room 326-W Whitten Building
    1400 Independence Ave, SW
    Washington, D.C.  20250-9410
    Phone: (202) 260-1026
    Federal Relay Service: (800) 877-8339