Counseling Services for Unpaid Care Givers

You must have one of the following licenses to provide this service:

  • Licensed Clinical Psychologist
  • Licensed Clinical Social Worker
  • Licensed Social Worker
  • Licensed Marriage or Family Therapist
  • Licensed Clinical Professional
  • Counselor Licensed Professional
  • Counselor

How Do I Become A Provider?

  1. Obtain a type-1 individual National Provider Identifier from the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System. 
  2. Determine how billing will be submitted to DHS/DDD and who will receive the payment directly from the State of Illinois.  If another  individual or business entity will be submitting the billing and/or receiving the payment, ensure that individual or entity is correctly registered in IMPACT.
  3. Submit an IMPACT Provider Enrollment application based on the billing and payment method. 
    • Independent Sole Proprietor that will be reimbursed directly by the State of Illinois-  - The Behavioral Services provider is an independent provider who will receive payment directly from the State of Illinois.  This includes providers that will use a third party billing agent or medical billing company to submit billing and provide assistance with correct billing errors.
    • Rendering/Servicing Provider that will be reimbursed by another individual or business - The Behavioral Services provider is hired or contracted by another individual or business that will receive payment for the Medicaid waiver services. This includes Behavioral Services providers that are owners or business partners of a group practice, limited liability corporation (LLC), or another business entity that will coordinate the behavior services, bill on the behalf of the providers and receive payment directly from the State of Illinois. 

Important Resources for Program Requirements