Commodity Supplemental Food Program

Administered by: Bureau of Family Nutrition

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) is designed to aid individuals known to be at risk of malnutrition due to low income and poor health conditions. Supplemental foods are provided to pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children up to six years of age and the elderly.

In Illinois, CSFP is offered only in the city of Chicago and selected sites in suburban Cook County. Eligibility for the program requires that pregnant, lactating or postpartum women, infants or children and elderly meet residency and income criteria.

Nonperishable foods offered to participants include: infant formula and cereal, nonfat dry and evaporated milk, canned juices, farina, dehydrated potatoes, dry beans, rice or pasta, peanut butter, canned meats, canned fruits and vegetables.