Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

What is the purpose of this service?

Illinois WIC: Here fo rYOU!

WIC is a food assistance program for Women, Infants, and Children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy.

For more information about what WIC does, review the brochure Make a Difference in Your Child's Life 

Who can receive these services?

Women and their children who are:

  • Pregnant, breastfeeding or just had a baby
  • Infants and Children under 5 years old (including foster children)
  • Families with a low to medium income
  • Use the Pre-Screening Tool  to find out if you might qualify for WIC benefits.

What services are offered?

WIC can provide:

  • A WIC EBT card to purchase special healthy foods - like fruits & vegetables, milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, whole grains, dry beans or peas, and peanut butter
  • Information about nutrition to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
  • Information and help about breastfeeding
  • Help in finding health care and other services in your area

WIC cannot provide:

  • Food items that are not specifically prescribed
  • Menstrual products and diapers
    • The USDA does not currently have a waiver for the WIC program to allow customers to purchase menstrual products or diapers with WIC benefits

How can I apply for WIC benefits? (WIC Participant)

Services are provided in communities throughout the state.

Use the DHS Office Locator to find your local Women, Infants and Children office near you. Make an appointment and find out what papers or documents you need to bring with you. At your appointment, WIC staff will check to see if you and your family qualify. If you need assistance, contact the State WIC Office at (217) 782-2166.

How can I apply to accept WIC at my store? (WIC Vendor)

If you are interested in accepting WIC EBT cards at your store, information about how to apply is available on the WIC Vendor Information page under Vendor Applications.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant's name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1. mail:

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

2. fax:

(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

3. email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.