- An $80 stipend will be issued for all active TANF cases with dependent children as of August 2023.
- The stipend is considered a lump sum (single, one-time and non-recurring) payment for TANF.
- Payments will be put on the Link card and should be available September 13, 2023.
- The stipend is exempt from budgeting for SNAP and all Cash programs.
- Client Notice CN 23.08/CN 23.08S will be mailed to notify all active TANF households who are eligible to receive the stipend.
- The $80 stipend should not be included in overpayment calculations.
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, Public Law 117-2, created the Pandemic Emergency Assistance Fund (PEAF) in section 403(c) of the Social Security Act. The PEAF provides funding to states administering the TANF program to assist needy families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This $80 one-time payment is for all active TANF cases.
A one-time $80 stipend will be issued for all TANF cases active in August 2023. The payments will be available on September 13, 2023 for all active TANF cases (TANF zero grant included) with a certification end date greater than August 31, 2023.
Issuance and Availability Date
This one-time payment will be put on the Link card and should be available September 13, 2023.
The stipend is a lump sum (single, one-time and non-recurring) payment and is considered as exempt income for households receiving SNAP and/or Cash that are eligible to receive the one-time stipend. Even though lump sum payments are typically budgeted for Cash, these specific payments are exempt for all Cash programs.
The $80 stipend should not be included in overpayment calculations.
Client Notice CN 23.08/CN 23.08S will be mailed to notify all active TANF households that are eligible for the one-time stipend.
Grace B. Hou
[signed copy on file]
Secretary, Illinois Department of Human Services