This memorandum obsoletes the following previously published policy memoranda:
Good Cause Allowed for COVID-19 Crisis TANF Work & Training dated 03/23/2020;
End of Good Cause for TANF Work and Training Due to COVID-19 dated 09/29/2021 and
Clarification of Good Cause for TANF Work and Training due to COVID-19 dated 12/08/2021.
- Effective immediately Good Cause due to COVID-19 is no longer an acceptable exemption for failure to participate in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Work and Training activities.
- Effective immediately TANF cases with adults that are required to participate in Work and Training activities but allowed Good Cause due to the COVID-19 health emergency should now be reassessed.
- Effective immediately workers should review and complete all existing WVS tasks.
Aligning the state with the federal government's decision to end the national public health emergency on May 11,2023, the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) is issuing policy ending good cause for participation in TANF Work and Training activities due to COVID-19 effective immediately.
Good Cause for Work and Training Due to COVID-19 Ends
- Good Cause due to COVID-19 is no longer an acceptable exemption for failure to participate in TANF Work and Training activities.
- TANF cases with adults that are required to participate in Work and Training activities but allowed Good Cause due to the COVID-19 health emergency should now be reassessed.
- All existing WVS tasks in IES should be reviewed and completed.
Customers may still claim Good Cause for failing or refusing to meet activity requirements. If a customer claims their action was due to good cause, review the facts of the case and follow policy PM 03-13-04-a.
Before sanctioning the customer, workers should ensure that providers and the activity are available to the customer. Do not sanction a customer when an activity is not available, or provider/provider slots are unavailable.
Workers should attempt the reconciliation process before sanctioning customers. A case comment must be made indicating all actions taken on the case.
[signed copy on file]
Grace B. Hou
Secretary, Illinois Department of Human Services