October 28, 2022
- As a reminder, the DDD in partnership with UIC is working on an updated Direct Support Professional (DSP) Training. As part of this work, a survey was released to gather feedback on the current training. That survey is still open and can be accessed online.
- Next week, the DDD will be hosting a Q & A Session as a follow-up to last week's CILA Rate Sheet Overview webinar. The webinar will take place on Wednesday, November 2, 2022, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00p.m. This session is an opportunity for the DDD to respond to the outstanding questions posted during last week's webinar. The recording of the CILA Rate Sheet Overview webinar can be accessed online. The link to register for the Q & A Session is online.
HAPPY DISABILITY EMPLOYMENT AWARENESS MONTH!
The DDD is thrilled to announce that Governor Pritzker has proclaimed October Disability Employment Awareness Month in the state of Illinois! Over the last several years, the DDD has made competitive integrated employment a priority and is happy the Governor recognizes the importance of employment for every Illinoisan. The proclamation is linked online.
HFS POSTS HEIGHTENED SCRUTINY SITES
Earlier today, the Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) published a Public Notice of all Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Settings Rule Heightened Scrutiny sites. HFS is seeking public comment on these Heightened Scrutiny sites. Public comments may be submitted between today, October 28, 2022, and November 27, 2022. Comments may be submitted as follows:
Mail: The Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services
Attn: Waiver Management
201 South Grant Ave East, FL 2
Springfield, IL 62763
FY23 LIGAS PERSON-CENTERED PLANNING REVIEW
Under the Ligas Consent Decree, in Fiscal Years 2019-2020, the State worked with the Court Monitor to review the experiences of a sample of 225 Ligas Class Members, using a Ligas Compliance Measurement tool. The review process looked at 17 areas and included a review of the person-centered planning documents, interviews with individuals and guardians, and observations of the sites. Following this review, in FY21, plans of corrective action (POCAs) were developed and shared with Independent Service Coordinators (ISCs) and providers to address issues. In FY22, a follow up from the POCAs occurred to see if and how changes were made to address the areas of concern.
As outlined in the annual Ligas Implementation Plan, in FY23, a new review of 225 Ligas Class Members will take place. DDD is working with the Court Monitor and the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC) to update the compliance tool and hold the reviews. Training for reviewers will begin in November and reviews should occur between December 2022 and May 2023. The Court Monitor is expected to deliver a report by July 15, 2023. DDD asks for all ISCs and providers to support this project by providing the necessary information timely if selected. Thank you in advance for your support.
DOCUMENTATION AND SIGNATURE REMINDER
On April 7, 2022, the Division provided a clarification on the allowance of verbal or e-mail approvals for certain documents. The Division has been informed some agencies are not appropriately following the policy which could lead to negative outcomes from state agency reviews or claims being paid. As a reminder, this allowance will go away when the Public Health Emergency ends.
- Clarification for documentation and signatures
- Requiring in person signatures for Personal Plans, Service Authorizations, Service Agreements, etc. We recognize there may be times when an in-person visit isn't possible for COVID reasons. In these situations, we're allowing a verbal or e-mail approval initially, but an original signature is required on the document within 90 days of the verbal or e-mail approval.
- Specifying that the verbal or e-mail signature must be documented in the signature section of the document and must include the date, time, how the signature/approval was received, reason the signature is a verbal or email signature, and the name and signature of the person who received the verbal or e-mail signature.
- Resubmitting a new verbal or e-mail approval date doesn't reset the clock on the document.
DRS IS HIRING PEER SELF ADVOCATES!
The Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) is hiring Peer Self Advocates! These personal service contract (PSC) positions are to help DRS at speaking engagements, including the DRS Career Counseling sessions, around competitive employment. They are seeking individuals with lived experience. Please see the link here: Peer Self Advocate (Personal Service Contract) (jobs2web.com).
The information contained herein should not be considered a substitute for the appropriate official statutes, rules, regulations, or the advice of legal counsel.
To request to be added to our email database, or to update your contact and service information, please complete our Contact Survey.
Information provided will help us to better tailor communications to you in the future.