The COVID-related flexibility allowing preadmission screenings up to ten days post-admission will be discontinued on November 1, 2022. Please see the previous policy memo that allowed this change, COVID-19 Pandemic Response Temporary Updated Pre-Admission Screening Rules for LTC Facilities. A correlating provider notice was posted on 09/16/2022.
Pre-public health emergency rules regarding screenings should be resumed per PM 20-08-04: Screening.
As a reminder, the screening is valid for 90 days. Out of date screenings will not be accepted. Screenings are not required on every case.
The screening date could be completed after the physical admission to the facility if:
- The client is placed from out of State.
- Client was admitted directly from the hospital or outpatient services.
- There was a care giver who is no longer able to care for the client.
NOTE: The admit date can NEVER be prior to the screening date unless the situation falls into the three exceptions discussed above.
The screening is NOT required if:
- The client has been in a facility previously, but has not been discharged for more than 60 days.
- The client transfers directly from one facility to another without a break in service.
- The client is admitted as a hospice stay.
- The client is under age 18.
- The client is in shelter care.
[signed copy on file]
Grace B. Hou
Secretary, Illinois Department of Human Services
Director, Healthcare and Family Services