Open to the general public.
10:00am to 1:00pm
- Call to Order
- Introduction of Council Members: Brenda Devito
- Approval of January 13, 2022, Draft Meeting Report: Brenda Devito
- Approval of March 10, 2022, Draft Special Meeting Report: Brenda Devito
- IICEI Organizational Practices: Brenda Devito
- Workgroup Action Requests: Brenda Devito
- Workgroup Outcome Timelines: Brenda Devito
- Preschool Development Grant/Governor's Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER): Lori Orr
- American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds: Heather Hofferkamp
- Legislation: Heather Hofferkamp
- Early Intervention/Extended Services (EI/ES)
- HB 4999
- SB 3747
- State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP): Heather Hofferkamp
- Ongoing Updates: Heather Hofferkamp
- Cornerstone/EI Data Management System
- Provider Connections Update: Rob Derry
- July 2022 Meeting In-person in Northern Area: Brenda Devito
- Adjournment of Meeting: Brenda Devito
- Esther Beard, Advocate Representative
- Benny Delgado, Provider Representative
- Brenda Devito, Clearbrook, Chairperson
- Kristy Doan, IL State Board of Education
- Christine Doyle Morrison, Provider Representative
- Donna Emmons, Head Start Representative
- Chuck Farr, Child & Family Connections (CFC) 13 Program Manager, Rural Representative
- Heather Hofferkamp, IL Dept. of Human Services, (IDHS), Interim Chief, Bureau of Early Intervention
- Lynnette DeGraffenreid, Provider Representative
- Michael Garner-Jones, IDHS, Bureau of Subsidy Mgmt. (Child Care)
- Margaret Harkness, IL Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Dee Dee Lowery, CFC 1 Program Manager, Urban Representative
- Ginger Mullin, IL Dept. of Public Health
- Lori Orr, Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development, Early Learning Council Representative
- Nisha Sanghvi, Provider Representative
- Amy Santos, Personnel Preparation Representative
- Kate Ulmer, ISBE, McKinney-Vento, Homeless Representative
- Marie Von DeBur, IL Dept. of Healthcare & Family Services
- Angel Williams, Illinois Department of Child and Family Services
- Amy Zimmerman, Advocate Representative
- Michelle Baldock, IL Dept. of Insurance
- Meghan Burke, Parent Representative
- Jennifer Gentile, IL Dept. of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities
- Rosie Perez, Parent Representative
- Shelly Roat, IL Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC)
- Becca Trevino, Parent Representative
- Constance Williams, Ph.D., IDHS, Division of Mental Health
Council Packet Contents:
- Draft Council Meeting Report - January 13, 2022
- Draft Special Council Meeting Report - March 10, 2022
- Council Guidelines
- Communication Workgroup Update
- Raising Illinois (PN3) Workgroup Update
- For Lead-Exposed Students, Early Intervention Can Reduce Harm to Their Learning Article
- Early Intervention Program Caseload Summary Report for:
- December 2021 - February 2022
1) Call to Order
Brenda Devito, IICEI Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 10:03 am.
2) Introductions of Council Members
Members introduced themselves and stated their agency/role on the Council.
3) Approval of the January 13, 2022, Draft Meeting Report
Christy Doyle Morrison made a motion to approve the minutes. Amy Santos seconded. Motion passed.
4) Approval of the March 10, 2022, Draft Special Meeting Report
Christy recommended a change to the 1st paragraph to add: Christine Doyle Morrison in place of "meeting participant". Benny Delgado, Jr. made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. Dee Dee Lowery seconded. Motion passed.
5) IICEI Organizational Practices
Brenda expressed the importance of finding a way to conduct meetings efficiently for the council and EI, while still following parameters set forth in the open meetings act. Discussion of current draft. Action Item: Continued edits on organizational practices/handbook are needed. Updates will be shared with Council members prior to July meeting.
6) Telehealth Workgroup Update
7) Communication Workgroup Update
Christy indicated there were no motions to be made. 2018 ISBE Child Find letter was discussed. Kristy Doan shared link to document for Council members information.
8) Equity & Access Workgroup Update
Angel Williams shared that the workgroup was working on recommendations for specialized services and upon completion, will be submitting a request for action by the Council.
9) Raising Illinois Workgroup Update
10) New Legislative/Funding Workgroup
Brenda shared plans to form a Legislative workgroup. This will need to be in place for the next Legislative Session to keep the Council in the loop regarding new initiatives being considered.
11) Workgroup Outcome Timelines
Heather indicated we are looking to use everyone's time wisely because we are stretched thin and that workgroups should be short lived with a clear goal. She shared that changes were made to the agenda, and everything will be on SharePoint, for council, access between meetings to make comments or have discussions on potential actions. Discussion on the formation and planned end of workgroups ensued, with current workgroup chairs noting that they were close to reaching their goals.
12) Preschool Development Grant/Governor's Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER) Update
Lori Orr shared that they were able to order devices through the Early Intervention Clearinghouse (EIC) for the use of families for telehealth visits. The devices are active and there are 117 in use. She noted that providers can make requests on behalf of the families. Translations are planned for EI materials into six languages. Videos for families are also in progress. Speech and language kits have been created and EIC is in charge of distribution/ processing.
13) American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds
Heather shared that they have been working with the EIC, EITP and EI Monitoring to have some clear ideas on how to support EI initiatives, such as the State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP). ARPA Funds need to be allocated by September of 2023 and expended by January 2024. Discussion of other options and a request for another distribution of the ARPA spreadsheet was requested.
Early Intervention/Extended Services (EI/ES)
Heather discussed the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) approval of policies and procedures for extended services and plans for manual release and training. The feedback from OSEP has been positive, the public hearings are scheduled, and full implementation of new process should be complete in time to transition the eligible children this year.
Requiring service to be initiated within 30 days, has passed both houses, pending signature of the Governor.
Requires auto eligibility of referral to children who have substantiated reports of abuse and neglect has passed both houses as well. Discussion of the potential impact on caseloads included the significant number of children who are DCFS involved aged 0-5 (7,800).
Requiring updates and changes to the behavioral analyst licensing act and approach is in discussion.
Recommendations for the formation of two workgroups to support the recruitment and retention of provider and one to support the implementation of services with a focus on DCFS referrals and the needs these children might have.
15) State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP)
Heather shared the team has put together benchmark goals through 2025 and are moving things out across the state. Current goals include working with EI training and EI monitoring to make plans of the next rollout.
16) Ongoing Updates
Meetings are scheduled to move forward with enrolling client information in IMPACT.
EI Data Management System
RFPs have been reviewed and the Department is moving through the process to name the vendor.
Staff turnover has occurred; the Administrative Assistant II and Advanced Accountant are vacant at this time.
IDHS has secured a master contract and EI is able to utilize unlimited envelopes. Digital signatures discussed, approval pending with DoIT.
Funding lost due to a lower enrollment in the last fiscal year, was restored to the EI budget. Amy Zimmerman and Benny expressed gratitude to everyone who supported the effort.
17) Provider Connections Update
Rob Derry shared that the new Provider Connections website is up and running at providerconnections.org. Rob also announced that he and Carrie Woodside are retiring. Their last day is June 30, 2022, with 25 years for him and 23 years for Carrie. Brenda and Benny expressed their gratitude and appreciation on working with him
18) July 2022 Meeting
Brenda shared that she would like to hold the next meeting in-person while keeping the options for virtual participation for the public. Members agreed to the in-person meeting in the south suburbs of Chicago.
Christy motioned to adjourn the meeting; Benny seconded. Meeting adjourned at 1:04pm.
IDHS - Bureau of Early Intervention
823 East Monroe Street
Springfield, IL 62701
If you are need of special accommodations, please email or call Jenni Grissom.