January 13, 2022 - Illinois Interagency Council on Early Intervention


Open to the general public.


10:00am to 1:00pm


Due to the current pandemic, this meeting will be held via Zoom teleconferencing. To participate, please utilize the link below provided by Illinois Early Intervention Training to register for the meeting.

IICEI Registration: Thursday, January 13, 2022

Once you register, you will be provided with an immediate confirmation, that will indicate Zoom participation information will be forthcoming. You will receive an email with specific access instructions and your unique Zoom link closer to the meeting date.


  • Call to Order
  • Introduction of Council Members: Brenda Devito
  • Approval October 7, 2021 Draft Meeting Report: Brenda Devito
  • IICEI Organizational Practices: Brenda Devito
  • Telehealth Workgroup Update: Benny Delgado/Meghan Burke
  • Communication Workgroup Update: Christy Morrison/Nisha Sanghvi
  • Equity & Access Workgroup Update: Angel Williams
  • Raising Illinois Workgroup Update: Esther Beard/Margaret Harkness
  • New Legislative/Funding Workgroup: Brenda Devito
  • Preschool Development Grant/Governor's Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER): Meghan Burke/Lori Orr
  • Illinois Pyramid Model Implementation: Lori Orr/Susan Connor
  • American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds: Heather Hofferkamp
  • Legislation: Heather Hofferkamp
  • State Performance Plan (SPP) Target Setting: Heather Hofferkamp
  • Ongoing Updates: Heather Hofferkamp
    • IMPACT
    • Cornerstone/EI Data Management System
    • Bureau /Division
    • DocuSign
  • Adjournment of Meeting: Brenda Devito

Meeting Report


  • Michelle Baldock, IL Dept. of Insurance
  • Esther Beard, Advocate Representative
  • Meghan Burke, Parent Representative
  • Kisha Davis, IL Dept. of Human Services, Bureau of Subsidy Mgmt. (Child Care)
  • Benny Delgado, Provider Representative
  • Brenda Devito, Clearbrook, Chairperson
  • Kristy Doan, IL State Board of Education
  • Christine Doyle Morrison, Provider Representative
  • Donna Emmons, Head Start Representative
  • Chuck Farr, Child & Family Connections (CFC) 13 Program Manager, Rural Representative
  • Heather Hofferkamp, IDHS, Interim Chief, Bureau of Early Intervention
  • Lynnette DeGraffenreid, Provider Representative
  • Margaret Harkness, IL Council on Developmental Disabilities
  • Kate Ulmer, ISBE, McKinney-Vento, Homeless Representative
  • Dee Dee Lowery, CFC 1 Program Manager, Urban Representative
  • Ginger Mullin, IL Dept. of Public Health
  • Lori Orr, Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development, Early Learning Council Representative
  • Nisha Sanghvi, Provider Representative
  • Amy Santos, Personnel Preparation Representative
  • Shelly Roat, IL Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC)
  • Becca Trevino, Parent Representative
  • Marie VonDeBur, IL Dept. of Healthcare & Family Services
  • Angel Williams, Illinois Department of Child and Family Services
  • Amy Zimmerman, Advocate Representative


  • Kristy Doan, IL State Board of Education
  • Jennifer Gentile, IL Dept. of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities
  • Rosie Perez, Parent Representative
  • Constance Williams, Ph.D., IDHS, Division of Mental Health

Council Packet Contents

  • Agenda
  • Draft Council Meeting Report - October 7, 2021 Meeting
  • Telehealth Workgroup Update
  • Telehealth Recommendations
  • Communication Workgroup Update
  • Equity & Access Workgroup Update
  • Raising Illinois (PN3) Workgroup Update
  • State Performance Plan (SPP) Targets - 2021-2025
  • Early Intervention Program Caseload Summary Report for:
    • September 2021 - November 2021
  • Approved 2022 IICEI Meeting Dates

1) Call to Order

Brenda Devito, Illinois Interagency Council on Early Intervention Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 10:01 am

2) Introductions of Council Members

Members introduced themselves and stated their agency/role on the Council.

3) Approval of the October 7, 2021 Draft Meeting Report

Amy Z. made a motion to approve the minutes. Christy seconded. Motion passed.

4) IICEI Organizational Practices

Brenda Devito shared that the operating guidelines are being updated and will be shared with Council members soon. Much of the previous material seemed outdated, and potentially contradictory, so updates were needed. During the April meeting, members will review more thoroughly. Some of the changes involve clarifying how meetings are handled and consensus is reached. Additional information describes workgroups and their roles/requirements. Also want to consider the purpose of public comment and how everyone can be trained on the requirements related to the Open Meetings Act. Also, the Bureau is working to set up an online workspace to facilitate communication and provide a way to share documents.

5) Telehealth Workgroup Update

Benny Delgado reported that they have had three meetings since the last Council meeting. Chairs ensured that everyone had the initial workgroup recommendations for extended use of live video visits. The workgroup discussed Bureau's feedback on these recommendations. Last meeting was spent reviewing the summary of where changes will be made in system documents. Subgroup will be creating a comparison document for families that describes the different ways that families may receive services. They anticipate this will support SCs in their discussions with families and support informed decision-making. The workgroup will also be providing feedback and additional input on the summary the Bureau provided. Christy asked for clarification about what was sent in the Council Packet. DeeDee asked if workgroup members would receive the Bureau's summary. Benny said that it will be sent as soon as the format is cleaned up.

6) Communications Workgroup Update

Christy Morrison shared that they have had two meetings since the last Council meeting. They continue to create a wish list for communication within early intervention. Themes from discussions include communicating about extended services, community resources, advocating for funding, and the potential for developing an infographic for families. Action steps include a template for Council workgroup reporting and a billing flowchart. They have added family participants to the workgroup. Another request is to update the provider justification form to align with the new EI principles. The workgroup is appreciative of the efforts that the system has undertaken to improve communication. They would like some information on the child find memorandum and whether this might be updated. Adrienne Piatkowski, from the Illinois State Board of Education, clarified that additional information has been sent more recently, but she will check with Kristy about what else might be done. The workgroup feels that a video, similar to what was done around LVVs, could be helpful for explaining extended services. Benny requested that the Communications workgroup assist with reviewing procedure manuals and policies to identify potential inconsistencies/contradictions that exist so that they can be corrected. Nisha clarified that their charge is to improve communication so they welcome input on when things are unclear. Amy asked about any plans the Bureau has for updating the Family Guide. Heather added that this is likely to be updated soon with information about LVVs and extended services. Amy Z. added a few other items that she hopes can be included with the update, e.g. lead eligibility, secondary reimbursement, parent infographic. Christy sees the workgroup's role as a reviewer of created content, rather than creating content. Brenda asked if that meets the Bureau needs and Heather confirmed that their review could be helpful and that she'll reach out as opportunities arise.

7) Equity & Access Workgroup Update

Angel Williams discussed that the workgroup has met three more times since the last Council meeting. They have created a subgroup to look more at specialized teams since the equity and access topic is so broad. The workgroup is working to explain the concept more concretely- right now they are focusing on system modifications needed to serve difficult to engage populations. Meghan asked if there was the option to revise the description of the targeted population so that it doesn't make it feel like the family is being blamed for engagement challenges. Angel said that this will be taken into consideration as it is not the group's feeling that the challenges are within the family. The workgroup will present their plan to the Bureau as a potential pilot. Christy asked about EI provider representation on the subgroup. Angel clarified that there is not currently EI provider representation on the subgroup, but she is open to that. The subgroup feels that there is plenty of existing information to assist with planning and there is no need to collect additional data. Christy suggested that it would be helpful to ensure that provider representatives are included in the subgroup given their role in implementation. Nisha asked if the populations have been defined. Angel said that this will be addressed by the subgroup with their recommended modifications. Lori asked about how the Bureau's work with the Center for Equity and Excellence intersects with the subgroup. Angel sees it as intersecting but not duplicative.

8) Raising Illinois Workgroup Update

Esther Beard reported on the activities of the last Raising EI Policy group meeting. Bethany Patten joined the last meeting to describe the equity pilot and answer questions. Parents also provided testimony during the call. The group also received a presentation on a NICU to home pilot. Workgroup will focus on other EI priorities given the Equity and Access Workgroup's focus on specialized teams. Margaret added that the group has concerns about families getting connected to early intervention given changes that have occurred during the pandemic. A lot of this workgroup's work intersects with other workgroups and the Raising Illinois Policy workgroup so their role may primarily be tracking activities and ensuring that the work continues. She's wondering about the ongoing need for this workgroup. Nisha asked that there be coordination between this workgroup and Communications if the workgroup continues. It will be important to consider anything that needs to be communicated as a result of Raising Illinois' activities. Benny shared that he views the workgroup as a method for connecting the Raising Illinois work to the Council and for collecting input the Bureau might need to implement desired changes. DeeDee feels that it is important for workgroups to have a clear charge and that these could be included in workgroup minutes. Christy shared that this suggestion was incorporated in the workgroup report template. Though she agrees a connection to the work is important, she is wondering if there is still a need/distinct role for the workgroup. Margie feels that this may need to be discussed by Brenda. Amy Z. feels that it is important for the Council to be involved in the Raising Illinois work in some capacity as the items identified in the plan are important. Regardless of the decision about the ongoing need for a separate workgroup, Council members feel it is important to stay aware of, and connected to, the Raising Illinois activities.

9) New Legislative/Funding Workgroup

Brenda reported that she did not make progress on this since last meeting. She did not receive notice of interest from anyone and she is concerned about how much work everyone already has. While she feels that this workgroup could be important, the workgroup has not yet been formed. Christy asked for clarification on the focus/charge of the workgroup. She asked if this workgroup would be related to legislation as well as the ARPA funds. Brenda shared that the previous fiscal group had been helpful and that's why she envisioned a combined purpose. Benny can see how funding and legislation could be related, especially if system fiscal (or other) needs require legislative changes. Brenda also sees it as a way to raise Council awareness of pending legislation and opportunities for input. Christy suggested that we try again to identify membership. Amy Z and Christy willing to participate.

10) Preschool Development Grant/Governor's Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER Updates

Lori reported that the contract is finally executed. Meghan highlighted two key pieces of this. They ordered 400 new iPads (300 with the data plan) for families to use for live video visits. They anticipated a March arrival, but they are actually being delivered today. She feels this is incredibly timely given the recent surge. They are also doing videos with families about their early intervention experience. Videos will be in top six languages present in early intervention. Working with parent liaisons at the CFCs for recruitment. Families are compensated for their participation. Excited to have a videographer that they are working with to improve the quality of the videos produced. Nisha asked about the form translations that were funded as well. Meghan said these are underway as well. Amy Z asked if additional families are needed. Meghan will share a link with Council members. DeeDee asked if all of the previously purchased tech was being used and Meghan confirmed that it was.

11) Illinois Pyramid Model Implementation

Lori Orr reported that the model is a framework. Not meant to be seen as an addition, but rather a supplement to work that is already occurring. It adds additional supports for the work around coaching. They had to pivot trainings due to the pandemic, but they have a statewide leadership team guiding the work that utilizes implementation science. Current work is primarily focused on classroom-based settings, e.g., PDG and PFA expansions and Head Start, but work in some states is now expanding to home-based services, e.g. home visiting and early intervention. Recent efforts have extended the work into childcare settings. The available support has really been appreciated and linked to educator wellness given the rising challenges during the pandemic. Lori shared links to Pyramid resources and landing page. Susan Connor shared that Illinois EI is in the planning stage with regard to Pyramid implementation. Many will find this very complimentary to work that they already do. The focus is on strengthening practice. EITP has engaged in the statewide Pyramid groups. This has allowed them to learn about the work as well as existing challenges and successes. Also, they have had trainers participate in national technical assistance from National Center for Pyramid Model Innovations (NCPMI). This has provided access to curriculum and resources that are EI-focused. They have also familiarized themselves with the early intervention practices fidelity instrument which can be helpful for guiding professional development as well as direct work with families. They have consulted with another state (WV) who is farther down the road in regard to Pyramid implementation in early intervention. Based on these conversations, they have been able to identify existing supportive pieces within our system, ASQ:SE, SECs, RBI, and work on identifying social emotional challenges through the use of the DC: 0-5. Training will continue to work with the Bureau to begin implementation. They anticipate opportunities for everyone to learn about practices but may also involve additional activities in some local areas. Nisha asked if there was additional information about the pieces that will support actual implementation of the Pyramid practices. Susan shared that while planning is still underway, they recognize that it takes more than resources to make implementation happen. We are lucky to have some of the key developers of Pyramid within IL (and even on the Council). Given her involvement, Amy S. shared her perspective on how pieces of the model relate to other initiatives and efforts that have been discussed today, e.g. equity. Rosemarie Allen, who is involved in the state's equity work, will also be providing the keynote at the national Pyramid conference in April.

12) American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds

Heather reported that they are continuing to determine the best way to utilize these funds. One activity that is underway is an effort to start rebranding Illinois early intervention. The initial communication meeting has occurred, but a Request for Proposal will also be released. They have also reorganized the work within the Bureau slightly since Ann's retirement, but they will be utilizing her expertise for the ARPA effort. She anticipates that a SharePoint site will be available for Council work. Members should watch for an invitation to the workspace. She is hopeful that this will support communication between the Council's quarterly meetings. Amy Z. asked if there are other activities that are underway beyond the rebranding. Heather says that is the only one that has begun already. The Bureau is still working to identify highest priorities. Heather will also be joining the ECPC Leadership cohort to think about the infrastructure changes that are most needed.

13) Legislation Update

Heather reported on the work being done to address extended early intervention services. She has sent draft policies/procedures and forms to DHS legal. The Bureau utilized a workgroup to draft documents. ISBE has been actively involved in this work. A checklist is being developed to ensure that both systems understand responsibilities. They have also utilized the Clearinghouse's parent advisory council for input. Next step is for approved documents to go to OSEP for review. There will also be a public comment period for collecting input. They will also need to adjust the administrative rule for early intervention in a few places. Heather asked Bethany about pending legislation but was informed nothing state-related was happening. There is a pending proposal at the federal level to eliminate family fees in early intervention. The Bureau is working proactively to address this possible change. For right now, still issuing family fee credits. No new fees have been charged since March 2020. They have also suspended delinquency activities. Brenda asked if the federal legislation is the big package that has not yet passed. Heather said that we are contemplating the change regardless of what happens at the federal level. Brenda asked about the budgetary impact of the change. Heather said that fees have never been a significant part of the budget and have costs associated with collecting them. Benny asked if there will be additional Part C funding if the proposal passes. Ann shared that this is currently anticipated and initial calculations show a gain. A portion of that additional funding (10%) would need to be set aside to address equity issues. Amy Z. asked if it was a regulation change, but Ann says it is a resolution. They will try to provide additional information to allow others to monitor. Amy Z. asked about the budget request for EI for SFY23. Ann will try to find out what that amount is. Amy Z. asked if the policy manual itself will go out for public comment. She feels that this will be required given the changes being proposed. Heather says that they will be following requirements for public comments and hearings. They hope to balance the need to inform the public with the need to expedite information to the stakeholders who will be implementing the changes.

Amy Z. reported on two pieces of legislation impacting early intervention. The first is an effort to get a 10% budget increase across all EC programs for SFY23. Action for Children is asking people to sign on to a letter to the Governor to support this request. She provided a link in the chat (deadline of January 19th). There will be appropriation bills filed that reflect this request. A bill will be filed by Robyn Gabel to define the thirty day timeframe for service delays and provide information for families about next steps if this doesn't occur. Seeking organizational support for this bill. Amy will share Jonathan Doester's email for those interested in providing support. Neither bill has been filed yet. Brenda asked for clarification on how the second bill would change how we do early intervention. Nisha asked if there would be alternatives identified for families when services do not start within the timeframe. Amy Z. said that this will be included. Christy asked how non-system providers would be paid and where that money would come from. Amy Z. clarified that this is defined in the policy and would be a system payment at same rate as others. Nisha asked about how obtaining services outside the system would be consistent with attempts to bring consistency to service delivery. Amy Z. sees this as a way to bring more providers into the system. Benny reminded others of the tension between having no services and having services from a non-system provider who may not be familiar with early intervention and how services are provided. Nisha agrees that it is important that children receive services and equally important that they receive evidence-based services. Christy asked for clarification about references to the secondary reimbursement policy in the bill. Amy Z. said that the legislation doesn't spell out the policy but lists it as an option.

14) State Performance Plan (SPP) Target Setting

Ann shared the data for each Indicator that will be reported in the upcoming Annual Performance Report. We will be able to share our thoughts about how COVID impacted the data. She shared historical data on performance and targets for all Indicators that are not Compliance indicators. We have been focusing on child outcomes as part of our State Systemic Improvement Plan efforts. Due to this, we have begun to understand more about the accuracy of the initial process and the data collected through it. Ann shared proposed targets for each of these Indicators to get Council input. Proposed targets reflect both the current state of affairs and the anticipation of improvement. She is proposing a change in the baseline for child outcomes to be more reflective of the current system and practice. There have been changes to reporting requirements that start this year as well. The Bureau would like Council feedback on appropriateness of targets, ideas about how we determine representativeness for family outcomes, and other aspects of representativeness that they would like to see considered for family outcomes in the future. Ann would like to follow up on the additional representative options during the April call. Brenda asked if anyone has concerns about the proposed targets. Amy Z. said that she is concerned that they aren't ambitious enough to spur progress. Shelly offered that you can be aspirational and still cognizant of the impact of recent occurrences. Benny thinks it's important to understand why things took a dive and come up with strategies to address them. In general, members would like to consider more ambitious targets in later years of the SPP. Ann will do some additional follow up on Monday. Amy Z. asked that the powerpoint be sent with the request. Nisha asked about the FOS being sent as well.

15) Ongoing Updates

  1. Cornerstone/EI Data Management System- DHS is moving forward with a request for proposal. They have a meeting this afternoon to continue this work.
  2. Bureau/Division- Heather reported that they are reorganizing some work within Bureau and shared the organizational chart for the Division of Early Childhood.
  3. DocuSign- Heather reported that DocuSign is still being utilized. They plan to continue its use until the new data management system (DMS) is awarded. Amy Z. asked about use of DocuSign by providers. Heather responded that this is not a possibility with the way that the current structure is set up. We are already experiencing crashes with existing users so it is not feasible to add providers right now. Benny was wondering if instead of providing access to Bureau's system, that approval/permission could be given for providers to use a secure system for authenticated digital signatures. Heather will re-initiate exploration of this as an option.

16) Adjournment

Amy Z. motioned to adjourn. Lynnette seconded. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 1:12 pm.

Contact Information

Jenni Grissom
IDHS - Bureau of Early Intervention
823 East Monroe Street
Springfield, IL 62701
Ph: 217/524-1596
Email: jennifer.grissom@illinois.gov

If you are in need of special accommodations, please email or call Jenni Grissom.