WAG 03-01-05-a: USCIS Documentation

A person without United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents must get documentation from USCIS in order to process verification of their status through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE) system.

  1. Refer a noncitizen without USCIS documents who claims to be in satisfactory status to the local USCIS office. For example, client claims document was lost or stolen.

    Give the person Instructions to Client (Form 267) to request proof of USCIS status. 

    NOTE: See the "U.S. Government" listing in the telephone directory for the local USCIS office. 

  2. If the person does not provide the requested item within 10 days, but provides proof that a request for a replacement document was made to USCIS (e.g., a copy of a letter to USCIS), see WAG 17-03-02 for procedures on 3rd party delay.
  3. If the person does not provide the items, or proof of the request, consider the person an undocumented noncitizen and ineligible for benefits. Immigration (USCIS) documentation includes, but is not limited to, the following forms. Each form shows the person's A-Number (except as noted). Forms marked with an asterisk (*) have expiration dates, and the date should be checked when examining the document. See WAG 03-01-02 and WAG 03-01-03 for documents that verify a particular USCIS status.
    • Alien Registration Receipt Card (AR-3A, I-151, or I-551)*
    • Conditional Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551)*
    • Memorandum of Creation of Record of Lawful Permanent Residence (I-181a)
    • Fee Receipt (including I-689A)*
    • Employment Authorization Card (I-688A, I-688B, or I-766)*
    • Temporary Resident Card (I-688)*
    • Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) (may not contain A-Number)*
    • Re-Entry Permit (I-327)*
    • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)*
    • A foreign passport, when it contains an I-94 bearing the message "Processed for I-551, Temporary Evidence of Lawful Permanent Residence."

NOTE: A fee receipt from USCIS, that indicates that an application or petition has been filed but not yet adjudicated, may also be acceptable documentation. The I-689A (listed above) is a specialized type of fee receipt for persons legalized under IRCA.

If a USCIS document does not have a photo of the person, ask for (but do not require) an identity document with a photo, such as a driver's license. This is for Family Community Resource Center use in protecting against the fraudulent use of USCIS documents.

NOTE: An applicant may provide other documents, such as marriage records or court orders, to show identity, immigration status, or U.S. residence of the holder. These documents are not proof of USCIS status, but may be useful as supporting evidence in the Additional Verification process.