IDHS Housing, Shelter & Homelessness Resources Factsheet (PDF)
The State of Illinois has increased shelter services during this pandemic. For information about what services and supports may be available to you, please visit http://dhs.illinois.gov/helpishere and select "Shelter".
IDHS Housing Programs and Services
- Emergency & Transitional Housing Program gives immediate and comprehensive shelter services to homeless persons and persons at risk of becoming homeless.
- Homeless Prevention - stabilizes individuals and families in their existing homes, shorten the amount of time that individuals and families stay in shelters and assist individuals and families with securing affordable housing.
- Homeless Youth provides a place to live and job services for youth who are 14 to 20 years of age that meet specific criteria.
- Supportive Housing - provides supportive services coupled with housing to enable formerly homeless individuals and families, or those in danger of becoming homeless, who live in private housing to maintain their residence in the community.
- ILHousingSearch.org - The fast, easy-to-use FREE search lets people look for rental housing. Provides detailed information and links to housing resources, helpful tools for renters such as an affordability calculator, rental checklist, and information about renter rights and responsibilities.
COVID-19 Emergency Lodging
During the COVID-19 crisis, shelters serving persons experiencing homelessness are working hard to ensure safe spacing of beds while also providing shelter to those in need. In March IDHS announced that it would make $6M available throughout the state for emergency lodging for people experiencing homelessness. These emergency funds were made available through local Continuums of Care (CoCs) - local or regional planning bodies recognized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development that coordinate housing and services funding for homeless families and individuals. The CoCs will, in turn, work with local service providers to fund solutions tailored to the unique needs of their communities. Options may include hotels, motels, and other safe and appropriate accommodations.
To find resources in your area, locate your county contact on this webpage: http://housingactionil.org/get-help/resourceshomeless/.
Services to Promote Housing Stability
If you need help with rental assistance, utility assistance, or are in danger of eviction, foreclosure, homelessness or are currently experiencing homelessness, you may qualify for our Homeless Prevention program. Call one of the IDHS Homeless Prevention Providers or visit their Homeless Prevention Program homepage to see if you can get help now.
If you are currently experiencing homelessness, visit the Emergency and Transitional Housing Provider List to find a shelter near you.