01.03.01 - Two Parent Household

Effective Date:  01/01/00
Revised:  02/10/12 
Reference:  89 Ill. Adm. Code, Chapter IV, §50.210
Cross Reference: 01.03.02 - Employment; 01.03.03 - Education and Training Activities; 01.03.05 - Teen Parents; 01.03.07 - Active Military Duty

Policy Statement:

To the extent resources permit, the Department shall provide child care services:

  1. to parents or other relatives who are working outside the home;
  2. to parents or other relatives who are participating in employment, training, or education programs outside the home that are approved by the Department; and
  3. to teen parents to enable them to obtain a high school degree or its equivalent.

In a two-parent household, both parents must be working or in an approved education and training activity and unavailable to care for the child(ren) unless one of the parents is unable to care for the child(ren) for one of the following reasons:

  1. A physical or mental disability which limits the ability of the parent to provide adequate child care;
  2. Participation in an alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
  3. Military service away from home; or
  4. Participation in a Department approved program such as a Work and Training Activity or Teen Parent Services (TPS).

The applicant must furnish written documentation to verify the reason why the other parent is unable to work and unable to provide care for the children that live in the home.

  1. To document the other parent's physical or mental health problem or participation in a rehabilitation program, the applicant shall submit written verification from the treating physician, psychiatrist, or other appropriate licensed health care practitioner that includes details of the nature and degree of the person's disability or impairment, the reason the condition prevents the individual from providing care, and the projected length of disability.
  2. To document military service away from home, the applicant must furnish a copy of the orders from the appropriate branch of the military that details the length and location of the assignment as well as any money allowances for clothing and housing.
  3. To document participation in a Department approved program, the applicant must submit a copy of the RSP (FORM 4003) or other relevant Department forms signed by the caseworker.

In determining whether one of the parents is unable to care for the child(ren), the Department shall consider the age of the child, special needs, the degree of supervision required, medical information, and all other available evidence.


For a two-parent household, when only one parent participates in an eligible activity, the application must indicate that the other parent is disabled, is participating in a rehabilitation program, or is in military service away from home.

  1. To document a disability or participation in a rehabilitation program, written documentation must:
    1. Be on company letterhead stationery;
    2. Include the name of the parent who is disabled or in a rehabilitation program;
    3. Be an original written description of the disability and be signed by a physician, psychiatrist or other appropriate licensed health care provider;
    4. Include a statement or an explanation about how the disability prevents the parent from caring for their own child(ren); and
    5. Include the projected length of incapacitation or length of rehab program.
  2. To document military service away from home, the applicant must:
    1. Obtain a copy of the orders from the appropriate branch of the military; and
    2. Include any money allowances for clothing, housing, etc. in income calculation.
  3. To document the other parent's participation in a DHS approved activity other than employment, the applicant must:
    1. submit a copy of the other parent's Responsibility and Services Plan (RSP), Form 4003.  The RSP must be signed by the caseworker.  Or,
    2. comply with Non-TANF Education and Training requirements as listed in section 01.03.03, III.

If an applicant indicates the other parent is incarcerated, request official documentation from the court or correctional facility. Or, if the other parent is incarcerated in a state prison, you may confirm this on your own by visiting the Illinois Department of Corrections website at http://www.idoc.state.il.us/.  From the home page, click on inmate search.  Government and Law Enforcement agencies/officials only may call: 1-888-446-9103.  For federal prisons check http://www.bop.gov/