The American Heart Association (AHA) together with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) are working to reverse the childhood obesity epidemic in the United States by 2015 and to decrease racial, ethnic, and income disparities in prevalence. Through our Voices for Healthy Kids' Strategic Campaign Fund, the AHA is targeting the following six state, local and tribal advocacy priorities:
- Reduce access to unhealthy competitive foods in schools
- Reduce unhealthy beverage consumption using pricing (dis)incentives
- Increase incentives and demand for strengthening industry self-regulation and government regulation of food marketing to kids
- Increase the number of healthy food retail outlets receiving funding from food financing initiatives in underserved communities
- Increase the use of joint use agreements and street-scale improvement in underserved communities
- Improve physical activity standards in out-of-school/out-of-class time in underserved communities
Voices for Healthy Kids is allocating six awards up to a maximum of $90,000 per award for a period of one year with potential renewal. In addition to this base level of funding, grantees will be supported by a robust technical assistance initiative and also have priority access to supplemental additional potential resources (including Rapid Response). The awards mentioned above are for non-lobbying activities only. Additional award funds are available for lobbying activities and will be determined based on the proposal submitted by each applicant.
Applicants must be nonprofit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and are not private foundation or non-functionally integrated Type III supporting organizations (no government agencies). AHA will require IRS documentation of 501(c)(3) status through the application process.
An application is included as an attachment. Applications will be evaluated by an independent review committee and announcement of awards will be made approximately 6-8 weeks after submission. Organizations wishing to apply should submit their completed applications to: Voicesforhealthykids@heart.org
More information is available at www.heart.org/obesityfund.