- Effective immediately, due to federal law, it is illegal to use the Link card to access TANF cash benefits at casinos, liquor stores, or adult entertainment establishments.
- CN 14.06 Important Notice About Your TANF Cash Benefit (pdf) is being sent to active TANF cases in February 2014 to inform customers of this prohibition.
- Language is added to the Illinois Link brochure (WCS 9203), Form 360C and Form 360P to inform TANF customers of the prohibition.
- Display mandatory poster, Illinois TANF Program WARNING (Form 4046), in the FCRC to inform customers of the prohibition.
- Policy will be issued in the near future which will add penalties for TANF customers who use their Illinois Link cards at prohibited locations.
- Customer Notification:
- Mandatory FCRC Poster
- Form Revisions:
Pursuant to Public Law 112-96, and effective immediately, it is illegal to access TANF cash using an Illinois Link card at the following prohibited locations:
- any liquor store; or
- any casino, gambling casino, or gaming establishment; or
- any retail establishment which provides adult-oriented entertainment in which performers disrobe or perform in an unclothed state for entertainment.
A liquor store is defined as a retail establishment which sells, exclusively or primarily, intoxicating liquor. It does not include approved SNAP retailers which sell both liquor and groceries.
A business which offers gaming activities which are incidental to the primary purpose of the business, such as a restaurant which has video gaming machines, is not considered a prohibited location.
It is illegal to withdraw TANF benefits from an ATM located in one of the prohibited locations, or to use TANF benefits at a point of sale (POS) terminal located in a prohibited location.
TANF customers are informed that it is illegal to access cash benefits at prohibited locations and that they may lose their benefit if they do, through the following means:
- CN 14.06 Important Notice About Your TANF Cash Benefit mailed to active cases in February 2014; and
- Language added to:
- Illinois Link brochure (WCS 9203); and
- Notice of Decision on Application for Cash, Medical and/or SNAP Benefits(Form 360C); and
- You Have Certain Responsibilities (Form 360P); and
- Posters in businesses where it is illegal to access TANF benefits.
Mandatory FCRC Poster
Display mandatory poster, Illinois TANF Program WARNING (Form 4046), in the FCRC. The poster warns customers that it is illegal to use TANF benefits at a liquor store, gambling casino, or at an establishment that provides adult entertainment involving disrobing or nudity, and that doing so can result in loss of benefits.
Policy will be issued in the near future which will add penalties for TANF customers who use their Illinois Link cards at prohibited locations.
[signed copy on file]
Michelle R.B. Saddler
Secretary, Illinois Department of Human Services
Form 4046 (new)