Department of Human Services
Division of Developmental Disabilities
Staff Training Billing and Reimbursement Process
This Information Bulletin will outline and inform you of a revised billing and payment process for staff training. This Information Bulletin replaces the DD.13.030 which was rescinded September 26, 2013.
Process and Procedure
The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) within the Department of Human Services (DHS) is informing you of the latest information on Staff Training Billing and Reimbursement. As you should recall the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) was in the process of changing staff reimbursement from a billable process to an amount included in individual's program or bill code rates. Subsequent to starting this process the DDD agreed with providers and advocacy groups to give this change further study before implementing the process change. The temporary hold on making any change to the previous bill and data entry process still left the DDD without sufficient staff resources to resume processing of staff training bills in the former manner.
- The DDD has implemented a temporary streamlined process of processing staff training bills. The DDD is currently processing all staff training bills received to date beginning July 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013. The first bills being processed will be FY2014 training bills followed by FY2013, 2012, etc. All of an agency's training bills are now processed in a "batch" process by time period for each fiscal year. Each "batch" is summarized on a single page remittance advice. The remittance advice will show:
- the begin/end of time period for the training being reimbursed
- a count of each training category
- the individual training category reimbursement amount
- a reimbursement total for each training category
- a grand total
- the CARS DOC Number.
- After entering the data for payment, a copy of the single page remittance advice AND the training bills associated with the remittance advice will be returned to each agency via mail by the DDD. It will be up to your agency to match actual reimbursement to the batched training bills.
- Until a new reimbursement process is implemented, the DDD will only process staff training bills twice (2) per fiscal year. The processing periods will consist of staff training bills received by the DDD for the periods of July 1 through December 31 and January 1 through June 30.
- Effective immediately, staff training bills must be postmarked by February 28 or August 31 for the respective processing period to be accepted, processed and reimbursed. Staff training bills postmarked after the specified dates of February 28 or August 31 will NOT be processed.
This Information Bulletin also serves as official notice to all providers that effective immediately, the DDD will no longer:
- accept staff training bills from preceding fiscal years. All providers seeking reimbursement for staff training provided and completed prior to June 30, 2013 MUST have the staff training bill postmarked to the DDD no later than April 1, 2014. Bills submitted for training completed prior to July 1, 2013 and postmarked after April 1, 2014 will NOT be accepted, processed, or reimbursed.
- accept staff training bills where multiple year(s) of training are listed on one bill. All staff training bills submitted to the DDD can ONLY list staff training completed in one specific fiscal year. Completed staff training for the same person for two separate training types that cross two State fiscal years must now be on two separate bills. This change is necessary due to process by which the batching and reimbursement of staff training bills are now being processed.
Note: Providers are reminded that all training for any staff person MUST only be billed AFTER all the training for the specific training type is COMPLETED.
Adhering to the changes listed in this Informational Bulletin is vital for reimbursement of current and future staff training for your agency. Questions related to this Information Bulletin can be directed to:
Dan Blair, Chief
Bureau of Community Reimbursement
319 East Madison, Suite 2K
Springfield, IL 62701
Phone: (217) 782-0632
This change of procedure and payment has been implemented and is currently in effect.