Participant Guidelines for Blackboard Collaborate
Attend class online live with this Web conferencing system, formerly known as Elluminate. Participants are the end users (persons signing in to attend the meeting/session). Participants may participate in the session with two-way audio, text messaging, a shared whiteboard, surveys, quizzes and more.
Blackboard Collaborate is the personal, online web conferencing tool designed for small meetings, one-on-one discussions, and training for a limited number of participants. Blackboard Collaborate enables participants collaborate and interact by using a microphone to talk over the Internet, uploading PowerPoint documents, polling participants to get feedback, and problem solving using a whiteboard. Collaborate works on Windows and Macs.
TIP: If you are new to Collaborate, please watch the 7 1/2 minute Blackboard Collaborate Online Orientation at http://www.brainshark.com/blackboardinc/vu?pi=zGLzYw5XBz35Sgz0
Enter your Collaborate Conference
- You may require a USB headset with microphone, speakers, and noise cancellation. The LogiTech H800 series has tested positively. NOTE: DHS Moderators generally use an 800 number to call in for conferences. Thus, the aforementioned option may not be warranted.
- Turn on your speaker or plug your USB Headset into the computer BEFORE you launch Collaborate. Make sure it is not muted.
- Click the link to your meeting. You will be prompted to type your name in the box. You should put in your first and last name. This is not a password, but simply a way for you to be identified when you enter the session. Click Login.
- Blackboard Collaborate launches a Java Quickstart Applet. Be patient it may take several minutes. Most computers have this free Java Quickstart Applet installed. If you do not have the Applet installed on your computer, it will most likely install automatically. You may require administrator rights to download software on your computer. If you are on a work computer and do not have the rights to download software you should contact your IT person to request assistance. If the LAN Coordinator or backup is not available, please contact the Customer Service Center (Help Desk) at 800-366-8768 for assistance. NOTE: Attempt to access the participant link at least one week in advance to ensure no opportunities.
- You know that Blackboard Collaborate launched correctly when you see a window that has a participant list and you see your name listed.
Adjust Audio Settings
Once you are connected you need to test the audio:
- Click Tools on Menu bar at top.
- Click Audio, then Audio Set-up Wizard.
- Select the correct audio Output Device (example - Logitech USB Headset) and click OK.
- Put the headset on and click the green arrow to play a pre-recorded message.
- Follow the Audio Set-up to finish the audio set-up.
- If the moderator uses Blackboard Audio feature, complete the Audio Set-up EVERY time you log onto Blackboard Collaborate.
Check Your Whiteboard Settings and Window Layout
Set your Whiteboard so that it displays the slides properly:
- Click Tools, then Whiteboard
- Make sure there is a check next to Scale to Fit. .
There are several windows in the Blackboard Collaborate screen. You can change the view:
- Click View on the Toolbar at the top.
- Click Restore Default Layout. Most people prefer Wide so that you can see a long list of participants.