Redeploy Illinois Oversight Board Members and Staff. The public is welcome to attend.
March 15, 2013, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
This meeting will be conducted via video conference with Chicago & Springfield Locations as follows:
- Chicago: 401 S Clinton, 7th Floor Executive video conference room.
- Springfield: 100 South Grand Avenue East-Harris Building, 3rd Floor Executive video conference room.
- Called to Order
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes (February 22)
- FY13 Redeploy Focused Update
- Supplemental Funding Request Decisions
- Macon County
- LaSalle County
- Lee County
- Implementation Plan Revision Response Decisions
- Lee County IPR Response
- Macon County IPR Response
- Peoria County Response
- St. Clair County IPR Response
- Planning Grant Updates
- University of Illinois: CPSJ Expansion Analysis Presentation
- WAIT Quality Assurance Presentation
- FY14 Funding (Governor's Proposed Budget) Discussion
- Maintenance of Current Sites
- Redeploy Focused
- Site Expansion (RFP)
- Program Support (Technical Assistance and Training)
- Program Administration
- 2012 Annual Report Update
- Next Meeting: April 19, 2013
- Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 1:00pm.
- Roll Call: Vice Chair: Anne Studzinski, Anna D'Ascenzo representing Grace Hong-Duffin, Chip Coldren, Erica Hughes representing Jack Cutrone, Jim McCarter, Peter Parry, Janet Ahern, Lisa Jacobs representing George Timberlake, Esther Franco-Payne representing Paula Wolff, Margie Groot and Margaret Wood . George Timberlake, Paula Wolff (had to hang up before any votes were taken) and Arthur Bishop attended via teleconference. Staff and Guests: Karrie Rueter, Danielle Donovan, James Sherwood, John Payne, Rob Vickery, Nels Nelson, Mary Dyer, Lindsey LaPointe, Laura Kunard, Dr. Cedric Herring and Kanaka Ishida (Quorum was met).
- Approval of Minutes: The RIOB discussed the meeting minutes from February 22, 2013.
- Motion: Jim McCarter put forth the motion to approve the February 2013 meeting minutes; Janet Ahern seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to approve the February 2013 minutes.
- FY13 Focused Redeploy Update: Rob Vickery gave an update to the Board. A single contract has been approved for Ogle County, with $6,335 expended. A total of $50,000 has been budgeted for the Redeploy Focused program in SFY 2013. This leaves $43,655 unexpended. Based on use and response to outreach efforts, the total expenditures for the fiscal year are projected to be less than $25,000. ICOY staff has attempted personal contact with the nine eligible counties with the highest average commitment rates: Adams, McHenry, Tazewell, DuPage, Mason, Ogle, Perry, Coles and Kendall Counties. Updated program information will be emailed or mailed to the remaining 53 eligible counties. This process will be completed by March 18.
- Supplemental Funding Requests: Karrie Rueter gave a summary of the three supplemental funding requests received by LaSalle, Lee and Macon counties.
- Macon County: Many RIOB Members were concerned with the data portion of this request. They were specifically concerned with the need for a protocol to establish the habit of proper data collection and maintaining consistency. Members agreed that for Macon County, very detailed technical assistance could solve most of the data collection issues. Chip Coldren and Erica Hughes volunteered to help Macon County with any technical assistance needs they have.
- Motion: Jim McCarter put forth the motion to approve the Macon County Supplemental Funding Request with the exception of the data system software and data analysis collection of the Teen Court Cases. Although the RIOB is not granting supplemental funds be used for data collection, the RIOB holds the expectation that Macon County will continue to collect and analyze data, using technical assistance as necessary. Betsy Clarke seconded, with an amendment to also remove marketing a Facebook account and instead focus on developing consultants. The Board has the expectation that Macon County will continue to collect and analyze the data as that is part of their original contract.
- Decision: The Board voted to allow up to $12,310 to be reallocated for supplemental funding to Macon County.
- LaSalle County: RIOB Members discussed the proposal from LaSalle County. There were no concerns or questions.
- Motion: Betsy Clarke put forth the motion to approve the LaSalle County Supplemental Funding request. Jim McCarter seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to allow $16,600 to be reallocated for supplemental funding to LaSalle County from the Youth Network Council appropriation.
- Lee County: RIOB Members discussed the proposal from Lee County. There were no concerns or questions.
- Motion: Jim McCarter put forth a motion to approve the Lee County Supplemental Funding request. Janet Ahern seconded. Motion withdrawn. Jim McCarter put forth the motion to amend the supplemental funding request and increase the request by $500 for the Community Youth Garden Project. Janet Ahern seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to allow $3,750 to be reallocated for supplemental funding to Lee County.
- Implementation Plan Revision (IPR) Response: John Payne gave a summary of the four site assessments and what is expected from the IPR for each.
- Lee County: Board Members did not have any concerns or questions.
- Motion: Betsy Clarke put forth the motion to approve the IPR Response from Lee County. Jim McCarter seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to approve the Lee County IPR Response.
- St. Clair County: Board members had concerns about why this site chose to stop using MST and what would be replacing it. Members specified that they wished to have more information on credentials of replacement services and if those services would be culturally competent. Members were concerned with why MST failed at this site. Members expressed the need for more information before they could approve this IPR Response.
- Motion: Esther Franco-Payne put forth the motion to table the IPR Response from St. Clair County until more information can be obtained. Jim McCarter seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to table the St. Clair County IPR Response.
- Peoria County: Board members noted that Peoria County's current probation staff are not against FFT and have not restricted referrals to the FFT program (comments on page 7 of IPR response) and commended them for their work with the Youth Farm.
- Motion: Betsy Clarke put forth the motion to approve the IPR Response from Peoria County. Esther Franco-Payne seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to approve the Peoria County IPR Response.
- Macon County: Board members only had concerns with the response to the first recommendation which centered on data collection.
- Motion: Chip Coldren put forth the motion to approve the IPR Response from Macon County without the inclusion of the response to the first recommendation. Erica Hughes seconded.
- Decision: The Board voted to approve the Macon County IPR Response without the first response.
- Planning Grant Updates: Karrie Rueter gave an update on the status of the planning grants. Vermilion County has completed the planning grant and submitted the Final Report. It was shared with the board.
- University of Illinois - Center for Public Safety and Justice (CPSJ) Expansion Analysis Presentation: Laura
Kunard gave a status update on the project. IRB has been submitted to University of Illinois - Chicago; CPSJ is awaiting approval. Staff are currently reviewing existing data sources on Redeploy Illinois including: annual reports, site-specific reports, evaluation reports, and journal articles. Staff are also reviewing data sources and investigating similar programs in other states, including: Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, North Carolina, California, Michigan and Oregon. The project is on schedule.
WAIT Quality Assurance Presentation: Nels Nelson gave a presentation on the meetings that he has had with Redeploy sites. He has met with several Redeploy sites and conducted WAIT trainings. Nels presented the results of those trainings to the RIOB. Nels offered up his services for any sites that need technical assistance with WAIT.
- FY14 Funding Priorities: Karrie Rueter gave an update on the FY14 Fiscal Projections and requested the Board review the set of priorities to be discussed at the next meeting: Maintenance of Current Sites, Redeploy Focused, Site Expansion (RFP), Program Support and Program Administration. These will be discussed more in-depth at the next RIOB Meeting.
- 2012 Annual Report Update: Tabled until the next RIOB meeting.
- Nominations Committee Update: Chip Coldren gave an update on the proceedings of this committee. They are focusing on downstate representation, diverse representation, former appointed board members, and those who could potentially be a great asset in advocating for statewide expansion.
- Next Meeting: April 19, 2013 (1:00 pm - 3:00 pm)
- Adjourn: Motion to adjourn at 3:00 pm by Jim McCarter; seconded by Betsy Clarke.