30 Appointments Made Ahead of National Service Recognition Day
Governor Pat Quinn today announced the appointment of 30 new members to the Serve Illinois Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service.
Serve Illinois, supported by the Illinois Department of Human Services, enhances and supports community volunteerism and administers the AmeriCorps*State program in Illinois. The new Commissioners will meet on Wednesday, Oct. 17 in Springfield. The Commissioners will serve three-year terms.
"I am pleased to appoint these selfless Illinois citizens to the Serve Illinois Commission, which is dedicated to involving everyone in community service," said Governor Quinn. "Now, more than ever, we need to band together to get our children off the streets and more engaged in our communities."
The appointments were a precursor to National Service Recognition Day, which will be celebrated on Thursday, Oct. 18 in a ceremony at the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield. The "Everyone Can Serve" event will feature nearly 1,000 Illinoisans being sworn in to rededicate themselves to another year of helping their communities through national service. Following the ceremony, volunteers will have a parade starting at 2:45 p.m. from the Prairie Capital Convention Center to the Lincoln Statue at 2nd and Capitol Streets. The parade route will follow Adams, to 7th, to the Capitol.
Earlier this year, Governor Quinn announced the awarding of $8.4 million in federal funds for Illinois' AmeriCorps programs. AmeriCorps volunteers dedicate a year to improving education, human services, environmental quality, public health and public safety throughout the United States.
Serve Illinois sponsors www.Serve.Illinois.gov, a valuable statewide resource for volunteers. The website serves as the primary resource for Illinoisans seeking information about volunteer agencies, trainings, nonprofit resources, and national service programs including AmeriCorps. The website includes a user-friendly volunteer matching portal where you can search for a volunteer opportunity in your area. For more information on AmeriCorps or Serve Illinois, please visit the website at www.Serve.Illinois.gov or call 800-592-9896.
Appointed/Reappointed Serve Illinois Commission Members
*First time appointment
- Jane Angelis, Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
- Don Baden, AmeriCorps East St. Louis - Fairview Heights
- Kathleen Blair, Giving DuPage - Woodridge *
- Julian Brown, Nicor Gas - Chicago
- Barb Byrne, Western Illinois Agency on Aging - Monmouth *
- Bechara Choucair, Chicago Department of Public Health - Chicago
- Merri Dee, AARP - Chicago
- Robert Dwyer, Executive Service Corps - Kenilworth *
- Kathy Engelken, Illinois Campus Compact - Chicago
- Amanda Guinn, Belleville AmeriCorps - Belleville *
- John Hosteny, Corporation for National and Community Service - Chicago
- Nancy Jameson, West Central Illinois RSVP - Macomb
- Howard Lathan, Chicago Area Project - Chicago
- Bob McCammon, Youth Conservation Corps - Lake Villa
- Jenné Myers, YMCA - Chicago *
- Frederick D. Nettles, Jr., Illinois Department of Human Services - Springfield
- Hannah Porter, Youth Representative - Macomb *
- Robert "Al" Riddley, Illinois Coalition for Community Services - Springfield *
- Joseph Rives, Western Illinois University - Moline *
- Giraldo Rosales, University of Illinois - Champaign
- Anne Schuman, CJE Senior Life - Morton Grove *
- Cynthia Sims, Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
- Ilya Sheyman, MoveOn.org Civic Action - Waukegan *
- Stephen Silberman, Former AmeriCorps*VISTA Member - Hanover *
- Lonnette Stonitsch, Family Awareness Network of New Trier Township Schools (FAN) -Evanston *
- Ruth Thompson, Coalition of Citizens with Disabilities of Illinois - Rushville *
- Barbara Tubekis, Volunteer Centers of Illinois - Winnetka
- Jeff Turnbull, RSVP of Peoria and Tazewell Counties - Peoria *
- Heather Way, Lakeview Chamber of Commerce - Chicago *
- Jennifer Witzel, One Hope United - Mt. Vernon *
Currently Serving Midterm Members
- James Dixon, AFSCME - Springfield
- Evelyn J. Diaz, Chicago Department of Family Support Services - Chicago
- Alvin Goldfarb, Western Illinois University President Emeritus - Macomb
- Jill C. Heise, Huron Consulting Group - Chicago
- Christopher A. Koch, Illinois State Board of Education - Springfield
- Garry McCarthy, Chicago Police Department - Chicago
- Toni Preckwinkle, Cook County Board President - Chicago