Use this job aid to convert a document to the Portable Document Format (PDF) format. The PDF format option allows you to preserve the original formatting of your document without the risk of data in the file being easily changed or altered.
If you are using Microsoft Office 2007 programs you will need to download the Save as PDF add-in first, to be able to convert documents to PDF. Refer to the section below to learn how to download and install the Save as PDF add-in. If you have already downloaded and installed the add-in or are using Microsoft Office 2010 refer to the Convert a Document to PDF Process Steps.
Download the Microsoft Save as PDF Add-in - Process Steps:
- Navigate to the Microsoft Office Download Center and locate the Microsoft Save as PDF add-in.(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7)
- In the Quick Details section click [Download] and save the file to your desktop or a folder in your computer.
- Double-click the SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe program in your computer to start the Setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
This download allows you to export and save to PDF format in eight Microsoft Office 2007 programs (Access, Excel, InfoPath, OneNote, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio, Word).
Convert a Document to PDF - Process Steps:
- Open the document you wish to convert to PDF.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button in the top, left corner, scroll over the Save As option, and then click [PDF or XPS].
- In the File Name area type or select a name for the document.
- In the Save as type list, click PDF.
- If you want to open the file immediately after saving it, select the Open file after publishing check box.
- Next to Optimize for, choose [Standard] for high quality print or [Minimum size] for online publishing.
- Click Options to display the following items:
- Under Range:
- Click [All] to publish all records in the database.
- Click [Selected records] to publish only the records that are selected.
- Click [Page(s)] to publish records that are on the specified range of pages. You can type or select the start and finish pages in the From and To boxes.
- Click Publish.
- If you want to make changes to the PDF document after saving it, return to your original file, edit the document and save the file as PDF again.
Results of the Procedure:
A document is converted to the Portable Document Format (PDF) and can now be added to CCMS through email, fax, or on the Upload Documents page.
To convert screenshots of different systems (i.e. KIDS, ACID, etc) to PDF, simply paste screenshots to a Word Document and follow the steps above.